Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Anyone shoot Federal?

Old 04-10-2008, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone shoot Federal?

Well I cant take the ammo back, so I hope it works. I've been ripped on before about not spending the extra money on shells. Well, i dont have a ton of money to spend on shipping and insurance you gotta buy (Nitros). I've been able to buy regular turkey loads in the past and have good success with them, so im not worried about not having the Cadillac in shells. Im just wondering if this choke/Flight Control will be alright. I havent patterned yet, plan on doing it this weekend. Just getting some thought before i do.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone shoot Federal?

ORIGINAL: mouthcaller

kesberman - I thought you were ready topunch a ticket on the Nitro train. What happened????

As was previously stated, the Flight Controlshells have a wad-cup designed to stay with the shot columnlonger, preventing shot stringing, reducing flyers and shooting tighter patterns. The wad is pretty neat - it is a solid column of plastic up front with little "air brakes" in the back that pop-out when the wad exits the barrelto eventually slow the wad and seperate it from the shot. I shot some two years ago before I switched to Nitros and they performed the best out of the conventional lead shells I tried. It is generally true that they will likely pattern best from non-ported chokes becase a ported choke is designed to (1) reduce recoil and muzzle jump, and (2) seperate the shot from the wad, allowing the shot to leave the muzzlecleanly with no rotation or interference from the wad.

Even though I was shooting them through a ported Star-Dot choke they still patterned well. I was sighting in a scope at the time and it was interesting to hear the wad hit the target at 20 yards.

As I recall, I got around 75-95 hits in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards with these Federal flight control 3.5", 6 shot. Contrast that with the Nitro 2.25 oz. 4X5X7 which produced 246 hits and you see why I'm on the Nitro train baby.

One more thing - for some reason Federal tends to have the longestopen hullsin the business and these3.5" 12 gauge loadscontinually hung up in my Mossberg 835. The spent hull was simply too long to be ejected, so make sure your gun can handle them before hunting with them or you will be shooting a single-shot gun.
Hey are you saying that you heard the wad hit the target using a PORTED choke? Other words meaning the ported choke still patterned well with the Flight Control?