Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Shot Size

Old 04-06-2008, 02:38 PM
Spike

Default Shot Size

I guess I've been living under a rock or something and I'm confused about the new (to Me) shot size listed on the Ntro web site.. I'm familiar with #4s, #5s etc...BUT what is #4x5x7.5??
Thanks in advance

Hook
Old 04-06-2008, 02:49 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: Shot Size

I think it is a mixture - (Some size 4 and size 5 and size 7 1/2 all mixed together)- similar to the 4x6s they once had to which one really needs to pattern those loads at different yardages because at close range - least on the 4x6 - it gave my partner a hole. We could not beleive he missed this Tom. So we went back to paper - two whole boxes are now in a swamp!

JW
Old 04-06-2008, 05:03 PM

Hook, check out the Hevi-Shot...really that amazing??? post on page 2, you will find good info there.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hook

I guess I've been living under a rock or something and I'm confused about the new (to Me) shot size listed on the Ntro web site.. I'm familiar with #4s, #5s etc...BUT what is #4x5x7.5??
Thanks in advance

Hook

JW is correct. Nitro uses different combinations of shot size, as well as just one size in their shells. A mixture of two shot sizes (example 4x6.... read 4 AND 6) is called a DUPLEX load... a 4x5x7 (4, 5 and 7) would be a TRIPLEX load.

Remington does still load a 4x6, and used to load some very odd combonations such as BBx2 and 2x4.

Most of the patterns you see that have 200-300 hits in a 10" circle are at the hands of Nitro shells... mostly because #7 shot is very small and very numerous. In a lead pellet, a #7 shot likely would not have the energy to kill cleanly out to and past 40 yards... however, with a hevi-shot pellet, its just like shooting a lead #5.... thats part of what makes their shells so nasty on turkeys.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hook

Thanks in advance

Hook
First off,Nitro doesn't use a 7.5 pellet. It's ether a 4x5x7, or for the states that don't allow a #7 size pellet, they now make a 4x5x6 load!!
The idea is to eliminate any holes in your patterns by using the smaller sized shot. Another plus is the energy levels of the smaller shot. That's why many are converting to the Nitro's. After making the jump to Nitro's a few years ago, along with the Rhino choke tube, I never seen such awesome patterns come out of my gun. Hevishot is here to stay in the turkey woods!!

Old 04-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Typical Buck

The Triplex Nitro 4X5X7 is mostly 7 shot. Swamp Collie and the others are right - the 7 hevishot carries much more energy that lead and allows one to increase pattern density while still maintaining downrange energy.

I killed a turkey yesterday at 49 steps with the 4X5X7 3.5 inch, 2.25 oz. Nitro (Load #H51013M), Mossberg 835with a Star Dot .676 choke. The turkey never knew what hit him - multiple head and neck hits and when I got to him he was on his back with a broken neck and bleeding all over the place. The last time I patterned this load I got 246 hits in a 10" circle at 40 yards.

When I dressed the turkey I found that a single stray pellet had hit the turkey in the breast. It was a #7 pellet that entered the turkeys left side, passed through the left breast, the breast bone, the right breast, and came to rest against skin on the right side.

About a year ago someone on this forum (or maybe on the NWTF forum, I can't remember) posted a picture of the1/2 inchplywood board he wasusing to staplehis paper turkey targets on.He was targeting a load with straight 7s and those pellets completely penetrated the plywood ata laser-measured 40 yards.Very impressive.

I am completelty sold on hevishot, in particular the Nitroshells loaded by "Nitro Ray". This is my third season shooting hevishot (1 year with hevi-13 then the last two with Nitros) and I absolutely love their performance.

Mouthcaller
Old 04-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Once you buy your ticket to ride the Nitro train nothing, you don't want to ride anything else!