Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey with a Rifle

Old 03-20-2008, 04:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Turkey with a Rifle

i dont have a problem with it but what would be left of a turkey after a centerfire rifle slammed it
Old 03-20-2008, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually more damage is done to a bird with a shotgun IME. I've never personally seen anyone eat the neck of a wild turkey, that's the only thing damaged on the bird I shot with a centerfire rifle.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: npaden

I shot a turkey this fall with my 7mm Rem Mag.Aimed right where I would have with my shotgun. Didn't ruin any meat at all.

I passed on several shots at 80 - 100 yards before I finally couldn't resist, it stopped right in front of my deer blind at 43 yards and craned it's neck looking around and pow... Turkey dinner!

Much more exciting calling them in the spring, but it still tasted good!

That is a very different scenario from what I referred to on page one. Several turkeys are taken this way in states with fall seasons. At a reasonable range (I'd say a 7 Mag can handle the job at 43 yards.. I don't think we'd have any arguements there ). Its a pretty sure bet if the bird holds still and you have a good rest.I think that fall hunting is a non-issue regarding turkeys with riflers. People shoot them with bows from tree stands, muzzleloaders, buckshot, all kinds of stuff in the fall. My big gripe is 1) safety regarding contemporary hunting practices 2) the all to frequent opportuinty to poach a bird.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I plan on using a shotgun this spring. I actually thought it was against the law to use a rifle in the spring in Texas but just checked it out and it is only against the law to shoot an Eastern Turkey in the spring with a rifle. You can shoot a Rio Grande with a rifle in the spring or fall. All I have on my property is Rio Grande's.

With my shotgun I actually think 25 yards is about my max with my current setup. I patterned my shotgun last spring and was begging for my 7 mag recoil after about 8 shots with my lightweight over/under shotgun. I didn't feel it when I shot my first ever turkey from 14 yards last spring though!
Old 03-20-2008, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: npaden

I patterned my shotgun last spring and was begging for my 7 mag recoil after about 8 shots with my lightweight over/under shotgun. I didn't feel it when I shot my first ever turkey from 14 yards last spring though!
The last turkey I shot with a gun was #30.... I haven't felt recoil on any of them! The day you do is the day you should quit!