Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey Loads

Old 03-14-2008, 08:55 AM

Default Turkey Loads

Last year, I ran out of my remington premier hevishot 3 1/2" # 5 and Itested the new hevi 13 3 1/2" #5. Never did get a good pattern from my 835 with Carlson's .675 ported choke tube. Whatammo do you all use and what kind of patterns do they make?
Old 03-14-2008, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Turkey Loads

You can spend more on the various heavier than lead stuff but Winchester Supreme number 5's have shot well in more different types of shotguns than any other shell I've fooled with. And that includes green hulled hevi 13's, white hulled hevi 13's and bronze hulled hevi 13's. That said, what one gun likes is no indication of what another one will like.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you liked the Rem. hevi shot like I did(do), I still have a couple boxes left, you will like the Rem. Wingmaster HD's. They pattern much better for me than the hevi 13's. They actually pattern better than the old Rem. hevi shot. You may want to give them a try. I shoot the 3 1/2 inch.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:39 AM

My findings with testing several loads, shot sizes and chokes is very simular to Todd's....
Old 03-14-2008, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

If you liked the Rem. hevi shot like I did(do), I still have a couple boxes left, you will like the Rem. Wingmaster HD's. They pattern much better for me than the hevi 13's. They actually pattern better than the old Rem. hevi shot. You may want to give them a try. I shoot the 3 1/2 inch.

Its kinda pricey, but everyone I've talked with that has tried Wingmaster has been very satisfied with it.

I shoot an 835 myself, now I shoot a Pure Gold .670, granted thats only .005" different, but it is different, and every gun shoots differently. I've tried almost everything there is to try and the best shell out of my gun is Winchester Supreme Elite Extended Range HD (its a mouthful). I shoot 3.5" 2oz #6. Nothing has ever beat it from my 835. Again, its pricey, but it really stomps everything else I've ever shot through that gun, which entails at least a dozen different combinations of lead and/or HD shot.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot the "old stuff" and it was the best that I've shot as well. Too bad they don't make it anymore. I'd have to agree that for an "over the counter" shell, that the Winchester super duper superior extended extreme elite shells are very good.I've seen some very good results from the 3.5" Hevi-13 Bronze2-1/4 oz. loads as well. My friend shot some of the Hevi-13 with a Indian Creek .665 and his patterns were almost as good as my Nitros.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:17 AM

I tell you what, you should try a box of those new Federals with flitecontrol wad. THey work really good for 40-50 yard shots, but they don't open up that well for 20-30 yard shots. Also sometimes if you have a vented or a ported choke it will pull your wad open more and make your patteren open up faster. Especially with those flitecontrol wads they arn't suggested. But I like everyone says, a lot has to depend on your gun and choke combo. Seems no two types shoot the same for some reason. Good luck
Old 03-15-2008, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I know guys that absolutely love the Fed. w/ flight control but it just wont shoot out of my gun for some reason. I do have a vented choke and I'm sure that it doesn't help with the patterns.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have an 835 and the best pattern I can get is with the Winchester Supreme Double-X 3 1/2" 2 1/4oz #5. Have yet to find a better shell than what Winchester makes.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:38 AM

Those flight controls are pretty sweet. But I guess maybe only some guns. The undertaker chokes arn't ported and I think that they might be a fine match. I might switch it up and try one of those sometime.

Has anyone every heard of Nitro turkey loads. The local primos rep was in gander mountain today and told me he gets over 200 bb's in a 10 circle at 40 yards. The 3 guys I was standing around, their mouths both dropped. I couldn't believe it. But you never know I supose. He said they were around 10 bucks a shell. So I deffently will never know. hahaha

Quick Reply: Turkey Loads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.