Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

how to make a box call

Old 03-01-2008, 08:10 PM

Default how to make a box call

i would like to know how to make a box call, any web sites? i will be make it in wood shop, any ideas?
Old 03-02-2008, 06:32 AM

Default RE: how to make a box call

Try Custom Calls Online, a lot of call makers frequent that site.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:22 AM

ttt
Old 03-02-2008, 01:14 PM

PaBow look on ebay right now theres alotta call suppliers out there selling call kits maybe bid on one an use it as a pattern to create your own call...was just an idea

MrGobbler
Old 03-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.customcalls.com/makeaturkeyboxcall.htm
not sure if this what you need but here it is team mate good luck to.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:34 PM
Typical Buck

I can tell you how to make a Poacher Call.

You must find some Seasoned Cedar, You can use Walnut but I don't like it as well.

You then find someone to RIP it for you, Square it up. And use Mostly the Red Heart of the Cedar. When you have a 3"X3" 2" X 3" What ever you can Rip, however long you need want it.

Then take a BAND Saw RIP it THIN 3/32 or maybe a Little Less. If its to thin it will sound horiable (Rasppy) To Thick will sound to (High Pitched) So the Thickness is KEY! You want One Piece 4 1/2" + or Minus X 1 1/4" X 3/32" you want another Piece 4 1/2" X 1 1/2" X 3/32" What you now have is Front and Back the Widest being, the Stricker/Lip.

Now for the TOP and The Bottom Note: this is not Rocket Sience So it can Vary a little.You want, Two Pieces 4 1/2" X (1/2" to 5/8") X 3/32" If you put these togeather you have a BOX with no EndsCut ends for your Box!

Note: Take one of the 4 1/2 X 1/2 X 3/32 and on the edge take a Sharpe Knife (Razor Sharp) and NOTCH a SMALL Notch at 5/8" an Inch from the end. This it to make a Small Opening for the Sound to come out. After you have made the TWO NOtches Take your Knife and TRIM off 3/32 from Notch to Notch. This leaves a SLIT for the Sound to come out and LIP to Vibrate to make the sound!

Buy Elmers Carpenters Glue Its Water Proof. On the TOP and Bottom take and make a SMALL Bead of Glue on the edge of the Bottom and Stick it to the BACK of the 1 1/4" Piece. Do the same with the piece you CUT the SLIT in (But not on the edge where the SLIT is!)

OK what do you have?A BACK with Two Pieces Standing up. NOW, take the Glue and Run a Bead on the Two SHORT Sides, where the Sound and Vib. is made. Also put a Bead on the OTHER END.......Lay the Top on and Wait till Dry!

Sometimes they will want to fall down!

Note: Also on the Top and Bottom The 2 Small pieces I like to take a Piece of FINE Grit Sandpaper and Lay in on something Flat and RUN those Edges lightly over the Sandpaper to make it more TRUE!

OK Glus is Set up and you have a Box with a Slit in it so you need Ends Cut them out and Glue them on!

N.ow you need a Stricker I like to use Soft Wood, to get a little bite. To make a stricker you can make it Moon Shaped. However the side you Strike on have it Oval on the side you strike on.

Oh, Put Chalk on the stick!

If anyone gets one of these made please let me know how it sounds? Good or Bad!
Old 03-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Typical Buck

ttt
Old 03-18-2008, 07:34 PM
Typical Buck

You must find some Seasoned Cedar, You can use Walnut but I don't like it as well.

You then find someone to RIP it for you, Square it up. And use Mostly the Red Heart of the Cedar. When you have a 3"X3" 2" X 3" What ever you can Rip, however long you need want it.

Then take a BAND Saw RIP it THIN 3/32 or maybe a Little Less. If its to thin it will sound horiable (Rasppy) To Thick will sound to (High Pitched) So the Thickness is KEY! You want One Piece 4 1/2" + or Minus X 1 1/4" X 3/32" you want another Piece 4 1/2" X 1 1/2" X 3/32" What you now have is Front and Back the Widest being, the Stricker/Lip.

Now for the TOP and The Bottom Note: this is not Rocket Sience So it can Vary a little.You want, Two Pieces 4 1/2" X (1/2" to 5/8") X 3/32" If you put these togeather you have a BOX with no EndsCut ends for your Box!

Note: Take one of the 4 1/2 X 1/2 X 3/32 and on the edge take a Sharpe Knife (Razor Sharp) and NOTCH a SMALL Notch at 5/8" an Inch from the end. This it to make a Small Opening for the Sound to come out. After you have made the TWO NOtches Take your Knife and TRIM off 3/32 from Notch to Notch. This leaves a SLIT for the Sound to come out and LIP to Vibrate to make the sound!

Buy Elmers Carpenters Glue Its Water Proof. On the TOP and Bottom take and make a SMALL Bead of Glue on the edge of the Bottom and Stick it to the BACK of the 1 1/4" Piece. Do the same with the piece you CUT the SLIT in (But not on the edge where the SLIT is!)

OK what do you have?A BACK with Two Pieces Standing up. NOW, take the Glue and Run a Bead on the Two SHORT Sides, where the Sound and Vib. is made. Also put a Bead on the OTHER END.......Lay the Top on and Wait till Dry!

Note: Also on the Top and Bottom The 2 Small pieces I like to take a Piece of FINE Grit Sandpaper and Lay in on something Flat and RUN those Edges lightly over the Sandpaper to make it more TRUE!

OK Glus is Set up and you have a Box with a Slit in it so you need Ends Cut them out and Glue them on!

N.ow you need a Stricker I like to use Soft Wood, to get a little bite. To make a stricker you can make it Moon Shaped. However the side you Strike on have it Oval on the side you strike on.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:17 PM
Typical Buck

Old 03-21-2008, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

i need pics