Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 You make the call! >

You make the call!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

You make the call!

Old 02-14-2005, 04:44 PM

Default You make the call!

There has been much discussion about shooting BB or not shooting BB and shooting adult doe instead of fawns. It is easy adopt either of the positions if you don't have to worry about keeping the herd stable, but let's look at what happens when you have to keep both the herd and the B/D ratio stable.
So just for fun let's see how many doe and BB each of our deer managers would harvest when given a specific set of parameters. For, example , lets say we have an OW herd of 21 deer ( 21 DPSM) which is at 50-60% of the max. carrying capacity of the habitat so they are at the MSY ( max. sustainable yield) goal. Therefore the goal is to keep the herd stable . Assume that the OW herd has a B/D ratio of 1:2 and the goal is to mainatain that ratio ,with an AR restriction of 3 pts. one side. There are 3 female fawns and 11 adult doe in the OW herd. Also ,assume the OW herd produces a net recruitment of 10 fawns /yr.
The adjacent properties will be managed the same as the SM where you are controling the harvest ,so assume you are managing the herd for the general public rather than a club or lease
Now if you had absolute control of the harvest, how many adult buck and doe would you harvest and how many fawns of each sex would you harvest. When making your decision , in order to keep it simple ,assume an adult doe will produce twins in the spring and the female fawn will not be bred and will not produce a fawn in the spring,
Have fun and good luck.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:39 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: You make the call!

That's over my head, I guess I could use Pa. way and start with shooting the big rack bucks first and most of the old does, I will be aiming for about (3 DPSM) do you think that will work?
Old 02-15-2005, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

dd,

u lost me??????

I am going to try and shoot a "mature deer" (1.5 yr or older) of whatever sex I have a tag for that presents a good shooting opportunity.

plain and simple
Old 02-15-2005, 08:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Math no one told ne we needed to do math.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

my head hurts....
Old 02-15-2005, 08:37 AM

If we want to understand why deer managers make the harvest choices that they do ,we have to understand how various harvest choices ,effect the herd and future harvests. This is not a trick question , nor am I trying to make anyone look silly. I am just trying to help us all understand what happens if we try to protect any particular class of deer ,while keeping the herd stable.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

As a rule of thumb, you need to take out pretty close to 40% of mature females if you want to keep the population stable. BTW I have a very good mathmatical model I can run for anybody interested. Here is an example of the input requited... Light green entries control what is going to happen and dark green allow you to set the initial population...

Old 02-15-2005, 09:24 AM

way OVER my head. I go hunting to relax not do math problems
Old 02-15-2005, 09:25 AM
Typical Buck

I'm not saying anything until I consult with my accountant & attorney
Old 02-15-2005, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a sample output for a 5 year period

Quick Reply: You make the call!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.