Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

you make the call

Old 02-25-2004, 05:13 PM

Default you make the call

you got that gobbler fired up and answers your calls. he is still out there about 70 yards andyou think he is strutting back and forth and will not budge an inch.
you can't see him yet, what would you do.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:22 PM

Default RE: you make the call

This happened to me and my cousin a few years ago. He was down on an old log road and strutted back and forth for about 30 minutes. We tried every call we had and he would respond but not come up the hill at all. Finally he remembered something he read about this same situation. We started cutting really aggressively for about 20 seconds and then just shut up....no calling at all. After about 5 minutes of the silent treatment he couldn't stand it and came up the hill and met a load of #5 lead at about 25 yards. It may have been luck but I think that there must be something to it.... getting him all fired up then leaving him out to dry. He just couldn't stand to think of that hen leaving him all alone.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

My very first turkey was a situation like that. I called and he answered for about 2 hours. He was in his strut zone and would not budge. Finally I tried feeding purrs and he came on in -- in full strut! You never can tell exactly what they want to hear, but you sure can tell if they don't like it!
Old 02-25-2004, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

BuckoDuck's talking about my first bird. I had seen this action work on an H.S.Strut video "Shell Shocked".

A year later we tried gobbling in the same situation. The next sound we heard was his gobble about 200 yards out and going away.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:43 AM

If there is two of you. Have one stay in that spot while the other one walks off in the opposite direction of the gobbler using a lost hen yelp.
This has worked alot for me in the past when no amount of purring or enticing seems to work. Ive even done this by myself a few times. The trick is to get back to your spot before he does. Of course this only works when the gobbler is out of sight.
Before doing this. Try some soft purrs and clucks and then go silent for a few minutes.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:17 PM

Got to know your territory first. Is he "hung up" because of a physical barrier like a fence? (This happened to me twice last spring, and I didn't know the territory like I should have.) If he is, you'll have to relocate in such a way as to avoid spooking him.

If there is no physical barrier, and he is gobbling to my yelps, I'd go silent for 15 minutes and expect him to silently sneak up on me.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:27 PM

I have had the same thing to happen to me. I have had sucess with aggresive calling and using a slate call along with mouthcall and becoming two very excited hens and have had gobblers to come running to both.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:48 AM

BEEN THERE DONE THAT GOT THE SPURS TO PROVE IT!!!!!! JUST PURR PURR AND PURR.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would get real quiet for a while then start clucking and purring. I might scratch some leaves as well. Have your gun ready because when you do that alot of times he will be in range before you hear or see him.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

I'm more of the go quiet or soft purring school on this one.
But, since I hunt private land, I may try a little cutting followed by a jake gobble to see if that would convince him to come on in.
If it doesn't work, there's always tomorrow!

Quick Reply: you make the call

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.