Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 What choke should i use for my benelli supernova? >

What choke should i use for my benelli supernova?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What choke should i use for my benelli supernova?

Old 02-26-2008, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default What choke should i use for my benelli supernova?

I just bought a benelli supernova for the upcoming turkey season, and plan to replace the factory choke. I've heard good things about the primos jellyhead choke tube. Does anybody have personal experience with the jellyhead or have any other suggestions for what I should get? Ishoot Federal Premium Flight Control shells, #5 copperplated.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What choke should i use for my benelli supernova?

The Jellyhead is what I've got for my supernova.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

ok thanks does it have good range? in other words how far out is it effective, 30, 40, 50 yards?
Old 02-27-2008, 07:34 AM

ORIGINAL: StruttinGobbler3

I just bought a benelli supernova for the upcoming turkey season, and plan to replace the factory choke. I've heard good things about the primos jellyhead choke tube. Does anybody have personal experience with the jellyhead or have any other suggestions for what I should get? Ishoot Federal Premium Flight Control shells, #5 copperplated.
I was in the same boat as you a few months ago...check out my write up. BTW which supernova do you have? I own a 26" and a 24" and both like a little different setup.

http://huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2640241&mpage=1&key=?
Old 02-27-2008, 02:04 PM
Typical Buck

wow thanks that helped me out a lot. i agree the carlson choke produced the best pattern, but the jellyhead was close to it, and its not quite as expensive so i think i'll be going with the jellyhead. as soon as i test it out on the range i'll let you know the results. by the way, i have the supernova with the comfortech stock and 28" barrel. i've always preferred longer barrels, as they give you a better sight plane and seem to produce slightly better patterns. once again, thanks!
Old 02-27-2008, 04:19 PM

ORIGINAL: StruttinGobbler3

wow thanks that helped me out a lot. i agree the carlson choke produced the best pattern, but the jellyhead was close to it, and its not quite as expensive so i think i'll be going with the jellyhead. as soon as i test it out on the range i'll let you know the results. by the way, i have the supernova with the comfortech stock and 28" barrel. i've always preferred longer barrels, as they give you a better sight plane and seem to produce slightly better patterns. once again, thanks!
no problem good luck.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:32 PM

well i m new on this forum but i ve been tukey hunting for a while and this year i bought a carlson's dead coyote choke and with 3 inch 6 shot winchester extended range at 35 yards it but 37 in the head and another 30 or fortyin neck i was shooting a jellyhead and had sucess with a gobble stopper but neither one shoots like this choke in a 835 with 6 shot 3 1/2 in it puts over 50 in head alone i bought it at the cabelas
Old 02-28-2008, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

my dad uses a X-full for 40+ shots or full for anything less, he also says pay the extra for hevi-shot #5, he shoots a SuperNova

Old 02-29-2008, 01:26 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: alinla

well i m new on this forum but i ve been tukey hunting for a while and this year i bought a carlson's dead coyote choke and with 3 inch 6 shot winchester extended range at 35 yards it but 37 in the head and another 30 or fortyin neck i was shooting a jellyhead and had sucess with a gobble stopper but neither one shoots like this choke in a 835 with 6 shot 3 1/2 in it puts over 50 in head alone i bought it at the cabelas
Are you counting actual kill zone or just the ones in the head and neck area? I only count what makes the spine or brain and discount anything in the beak, waddles, or fleshy parts of the neck.

I just purchased a Super Nova and have axx-full Comp-N-Choke that my brother gave me. I put ten in the kill zone at 30 yards with Winchester Supreme #6, 3 1/2", 2 1/4 oz. load. That was with factory sights, which I plan on replacing. I shot a #4x#5x#7 Nitro through it at the same distance and had 26 in the kill zone. The best part of the load was to the right about 3-4 inches, so I hope to get my new sights on pretty soon. As impressive as the Nitro patterned I'm not sure I can spend $6 per shell.

Has anyone had any luck with any of the Hevi-shot loads?