Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 right time to take the shot >

right time to take the shot

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

right time to take the shot

Old 02-19-2008, 08:34 PM

Default RE: right time to take the shot

I have to get a bird inside 40 yards, I prefer inside 30 yds. As long as the bird is moving in, I let him keep on coming. I also prefer to shoot when his head is sticking out and I don't want to shoot any closer than 15 - 20 yards.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont think I can really add anything, its all been covered.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:07 AM

the first GOOD oppertunity the bird gives you, i have seen too many people wait for the PERFECT shot and screw it all up, more often than not that isnt going to happen so take the first good shot you get. and just remember be safe.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:39 PM

if he's steady comming in you can wait untill hes about 30 yards out. if hes is acting spooky and inside 50 TAKE HIM. as soon as the shoot presents it self i take it to many things can happen in that little bit of time.......no time 2 mess around!!!
Old 02-21-2008, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I put my bead on the head and I know this shot is a 100% if I dont screw it up. Then squeeze the trigger.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:48 PM

When his head is turned sideways giving a larger target than straight on, aim just above the head when the neck is stretched out in an attempt to eliminated pellets in the body (saves on dental bills) and when he is turned broadside so you don't shoot the feathers out of the tail band at an ideal distance of 25-35 yards.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 02-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, i wait until hes within about 25 yards, IF POSSIBLE. And when he does, wait for him to put his head up a bit, and CRANK EM'! But like they say, get the best, most humane shot you can.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wait till your comfortable! I had a bird at 45 last year, which is well within range, but i waited and he held up inside some briars. Just didnt feel comfortable yet and even though i know that i could have killed him, i dont regret a thing!
Old 02-22-2008, 06:32 PM
Spike

I had an older fella get me started turkey hunting 20 years ago. One day he called a big tom in, and I wouldn't take the shot because I thought it was too far. After the bird left, we stepped it off and it was 32 yards. I am far better with yardage now (little more seasoned...HA HA), but I still won't shoot over 35 yards. But here is what he told me to remember. If you can see the wet of its eyes, its in range. If you can see the hair in its chin, its too close. This has stuck with me all through the years. HOWEVER, last year I called a bird in for my nephew in the morning and was going for mine later. I called three toms in and yep couldn't see their eyes and he got away. Next morning I called two off the roost and yep when I shot I saw the whiskers flinch and he got away. Just remember to bring all your gear and all your experience on each hunt. Being too confident can be just as bad as under confident!