Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 calling without using calls >

calling without using calls

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

calling without using calls

Old 02-14-2008, 07:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default calling without using calls

I was just wondering if there was anyone else that has did this, leaving your calls at the truck and just using your mouth with no diaphragms. The first time it happened I was out hunting with a friend, his first time, I forgot the calls and my bow release in the truck cause we were in such a hurry. We start to pop over a ridge when 1 jake out of 4 down in the river bottom spots me and rings out the alarm. I immediately return his alarm and start popping and purring back to him, they not only calmed down but they flew across the river, gobbled-strutted and raced up the hill talking back and forth with me for 5-10 minutes till they were all at 10 yards for the kill. My friends jaw was on the floor asthe jakesfought to see who had the right to be first, my friend is hooked for life now and we go out often.Since then I have used just my mouth for a couple of other occasions when I didn’t have my calls in my hand, it has worked pretty much every time. the calls i immitated were the pop and purr, and yelping.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: calling without using calls

There are a few guys that can call using only their mouths and are really good at it. Congratulations on getting that jake in so close! I would assume that the cluck and purr would be the easiest to duplicate without the use of a mouth or slate call. I would be curious to know if this could work on a boss gobbler.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was justsaying to my friend yesterday thatI might try that after I have a bird in the bag, just to see if I could. In RI, you do physically have to have a turkey call on you to be legal though.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:13 AM
Fork Horn

SIMP Q: I would be curious to know if this could work on a boss gobbler.
VM A: i don't know yet, i did it once this fall after scattering a big group and got (2) 8"-10" beards but they weren't the lead toms by any means. that was with the same guy.

ristrutstopper Q: do physically have to have a turkey call on you to be legal though.
vm A: iknow you don't have to have a call. there are many ways to hunt a turkey, most of them arent by using a call (stalking, roost fly down/up, passing birds) in these situations a call isn't even needed.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hen purr is a very difficult call to make (correctly) with a diaphram call. I find that I can duplicate it much more easily without a call at all.

The situation you described, of coming suddenly upon some turkeys but having them not spook is not really what I would call a tried and true method, because most of the time they will spook. If you bust them up, in the fall anyway... not sure about the spring, you can often call them back to you. I would suspect you could call a boss gobbler in without the use of a call just as easily as with one. Only handicap is you don't have the volume with your mouth that you do with a call... even a diaphram. But it can most certainly be done.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RIStrutStopper

I was justsaying to my friend yesterday thatI might try that after I have a bird in the bag, just to see if I could. In RI, you do physically have to have a turkey call on you to be legal though.
Ya know, now that I think about it, you have to physically have a call with you here as well. I guess you could always have it in your pocket in case the man showed up.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Yes I can use my mouth to yelp, cluck, and purr...
Old 02-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was messin around onehunt and got one to gobble to just my mouth.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Its not as hard as people think. A purr and cluck are easy. But I dont have any trouble purring and clucking on a diaphram either.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

My brother-in-law is fantastic with just his natural voice.He's killed plenty of birds with a mechanical call and his voice natural voice.I sure cant except gobble a little.Luckily I can produce most all turkey talk with a mouthcall......

Quick Reply: calling without using calls

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.