Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Gun Shows Suck If You Are A Hunter! >

Gun Shows Suck If You Are A Hunter!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Gun Shows Suck If You Are A Hunter!

Old 02-09-2003, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Gun Shows Suck If You Are A Hunter!

Brian L hit it on the head. These things have become shows for paramilitary fan. Lots of junk for the most part and prices no sane person would pay for a used gun.
The "unabomber wannabes" is an accurate description of what I saw at my last gun show a couple of years back. It's scary to see what kind of people are there walking around bristling with guns and knives bought and for sale.
I think they have a right to have the shows, but I won't be attending any more.

Give 'em a barrel!
Old 02-10-2003, 06:48 AM

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."

Theodore Roosevelt

http://tscott.fws1.com

ONE NATION UNDER GOD!

Edited by - TScottW99 on 02/10/2003 14:23:20

Edited by - TScottW99 on 02/10/2003 14:24:00
Old 02-10-2003, 01:04 PM

TScottW99,

Okay, ya slammed me on this post. Did I offend you or something? Sorry, I thought we were all here on the same accord. No, I am not single minded about anything. I am probably one of the most open minded hunters you will ever meet. I do get excited when I discover a call, gun, or ammo that is superior to what I have seen before. I guess I do get a little carried away sometimes. Maybe that is why have had success as a new turkey hunter. I read, listen, and learn alot from other and try to apply it when I go into the field. I have not and will not ever tell a person I think the are hunting wrong as lond as it is legal what they are doing. I do not agree with killing jakes or roost shooting. But, those are my rules I go by. Not what I push on everybody else. Sorry if it seems like everything is "my way or the highway!" If that was true I would not be on a message board reading everybodies post trying to learn something. I am also a member of the NWTF and try to do everything capable to promote the wild turkey!

I bet "Bear Bryant" would have been a "Turkey Hunting Warrior!"
Old 02-10-2003, 01:22 PM

I wasn't trying to "slam" you. I just took offense to the whole uni-bomber and "assualt" weapon deal. Gun shows have always been about an assortment of guns. I have been to ones where their were more "hunting" guns and I've been to them where they had more "other" type guns. As a hunter, police officer, veteran and good ol' gun nut I like them all. I was just trying to say talk to the promoters. If you want more hunting guns then ask for it. I'll edit my originial post to make it less "slam" like.

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."

Theodore Roosevelt

ONE NATION UNDER GOD!
Old 02-10-2003, 02:01 PM

personally i ahve found rifles to be over priced at the gun shows and many of the "many shot capable, synthetic, pistolgripped, nightvision scoped" rifles are also more expensive than id like but i dont have a use for them anyway other than fun. though handguns are a different realm. the indy 1500 gun show has some good deals on handguns. comared to the shops around me that ive been too any way. reloading compnents are a steal compared to most stores though. and once fored brass is also plentiful. though i am getting tired of all the crap they have there

propmahn
save the world, reload your brass

Old 02-10-2003, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

At gun shows, you have to take the good with the bad. I don't even look at 60% of the tables I pass at gun shows. However the promoter allows anyone to leglly sell any type of firearm, and that is the way it should be. Places to find guns are becoming more scarce every year. The military guys may not like to sort through muzzleloaders and turkey guns either. I seldom buy anything at gunshows anymore, unless an individual is walking around with a really good deal on a gun I've been interested in. It's a day out of the house. When gun shows are gone, only Walmart will be left. I agree that some of the gun shows can be a waste of time, but I do like to go to the big ones in Louisville and Indianapolis. I've blown $6 on worse entertainment.

Old 02-11-2003, 03:03 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-11-2003, 05:31 PM

Brokenbucket,
See that's a problem with todays gun owners. An AR-15 is as much as an "assualt weapon" as a semi-automatic deer rifle. When you divide the guns up like you have you are asking for them all to be taken away. Anti-gun groups know this, this is why they attack one type of firearm at a time. Before you know it they are all gone. Look over in Germany. They just outlawed pump shotguns several months ago because the Anti's said it was way too powerful. That's your and my turkey gun! All an AR-15 is, is a semi-automatic rifle with a fancy black stock. With today's laws, the high cap mags are starting to disaper or getting so high no thug/criminal is going to buy them. Remember when they come to take your "too powerful" turkey gun that someone else had drawn a line somewhere. Besides an AR-15 is fun to shoot like most AR owners will attest since most use it for target practice or predator hunting. The other owners usally served time in the military and like to remember when, just like your and my grand dad's M1 Garand. The father of "assualt weapons".

Theodore Roosevelt

ONE NATION UNDER GOD!
Old 02-11-2003, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>What use would the average citizen have with an assault weapon of any type? I`ve always supported the NRA, but I`ll never support the assault rifle issue <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Please tell us what an assault rifle is. Which is more deadly your so called semi-automatic rifle that you call an assault rifle or a 12ga shotgun loaded with buckshot.

THE NRA, WHERE WOULD YOU AS A GUN-OWNER BE WITHOUT THEM.
GUN-OWNERS, UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:07 AM
Typical Buck

only gun show i went to was probably 80% military stuff (m-16's ak-47's and who knows what else). and 20% hunting guns and most of those were old pieces of junk!!! the best part was seeing a man from my church and he was saling hunting guns ONLY and they were nice (remmy 1100 etc...) so yea my only gun show sucked.

POST A GUNREVIEW TODAY!
http://gunreviews.to.gs