Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Hevi shot

Old 02-07-2003, 05:34 AM

Default Hevi shot

Has anyone heard of this particular problem with hevishot. A guy at a hunting store said that the hevishot loads were bad for your gun, even with the right choke. He said people were messing up barrels with it. Anyone have this problem, or do yall recommend hevishot. I hear it has great ppattern constriction downfeild and retains its knockdown power, but i dont know if i want to buy a new choke just to not be impressed with it. Currently using a xxfull hastings with my SBE, no aftermarket sights.
Thanks<font face='Trebuchet MS'></font id='Trebuchet MS'><font face='Script MT Bold'></font id='Script MT Bold'><font face='Stencil'></font id='Stencil'><font face='Verdana'></font id='Verdana'><font face='Lucida Console'></font id='Lucida Console'>

Tom Wright
Old 02-07-2003, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hevi shot

No personal experience yet (got 2 boxes waiting to be patterned) but from what I hear, if your gun will handle steel shot it will handle Hevi-shot. Use a choke made for steel, too. if your choke says &quot;LEAD ONLY&quot; don't use it with the Hevi. (Again, from what I hear.)

Also, you shouldn't need a heavily constricting choke with Hevi. Use a more open choke for better patterns. I would say to try patterning with your full and modified chokes. That's what I intend to do tomorrow.
Link to PowDuck's Homepage
Romans 8:28
Old 02-07-2003, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

I have not heard of any problems. I will check with a buddy. He shot hevi shot all last fall for ducks. I do not believe he has noticed any problems. I found it to pattern great through the full choke I got with my Benelli. They are making chokes now just for hevi shot. I would try it with your regular full choke to start. Another thought is that with turkey hunting you probably will not run enough hevi shot through your barrel to make any major impact. Unless you have the opportunity to shoot ALOT more turkeys than I do.
Old 02-07-2003, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot it threw my Tru glo super full and it patterns great out to 40 yards... Better than Win HV #5's...

Old 02-07-2003, 12:56 PM

I preciate the info fellas. PowDuck any thing you find out after shooting it let me know. From the conflicting info about chokes, should I try it through my xxfull or stay with the full and modified chokes only.

Thanks

Tom Wright
Old 02-07-2003, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

I tried it last year with chokes approved for steel and it did not pattern as well as my 3.5 Winchester #5 through my TruGlo turkey choke. I checked with TruGlo and they said not to use heavy shot with my choke but they had a new model that would work. I decided to save the $$ and stick with what I have.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:55 PM

HEAVY SHOT HAS CAUSED SOME SCORING IN BARRELS. IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE HEAVY SHOT YOU SHOULD BUY THE SHELLS FROM NITRO COMPANY ON THE INTERNET. THEY WILL ALSO BE SELLING THEM AT THEIR BOOTH AT THE NWTF CONVENTION NEXT WEEK. THET ARE EXPENSIVE BUT WORTH IT. THEY COAT THE SHOT WITH SOMETHING BEFORE LOADING AND IT WILL PREVENT SCORING. REMINGTON IS STARTING TO DO THIS BUT I DON'T THINK THEY HAVE PUT IT ON THE MARKET YET. ALSO NITRO ONLY RECOMMENDS THAT YOOU USE A RHINO CHOKE WHEN USING HEAVY SHOT. AGAIN, THEY ARE EXPENSIVE ALSO BUT WORTH IT. $80 FOR A RHINO CHOKE / $45 FOR A BOX OF TEN SHELLS. NOW HOLD ON TO YOUR BOOTS HERE. AT 40 YARDS IN A 10&quot; CIRCLE YOU WILL AVERAGE BETWEEN 170-200 BB'S. THAT IS GUARANTEED! THAT IS AWESOME! YOU JUST TELL THEM WHAT TYPE GUN YOU USE AND THE HAVE THE BEST CHOKE AND LOAD FOR THAT GUN TO GET THOSE RESULTS. IT WILL COST YOU ABOUT $4 PER SHOT. THAT IS ABOUT WHAT YOU PAY FOR ANY DECENT RIFLE SHELL YOU WILL DEER HUNT WITH. $15 ANYTIME YOU RELEASE YOUR BOW. IT IS WORTH IT. YOU CAN AND WILL KILL A TURKEY GRAVE YARD DEAD AT 70 YARDS USING NITRO AMMO HEAVY SHOT WILL A RHINO CHOKE. NO KIDDING. I HAVE SEEN TURKEYS ON FILM SHOT AT 45 YARD THAT WERE KNOCKED FOR A FLIP. THE PENETRATION IS INCREADABLE. YES, IT IS EXPENSIVE. BUT ISN'T ANY MAN TOY THAT WE WANT.

I bet &quot;Bear Bryant&quot; would have been a &quot;Turkey Hunting Warrior!&quot;