Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

hevi shot vs. lead shot

Old 01-01-2008, 05:33 PM

Default hevi shot vs. lead shot

what is everyone using in there turkey gun? I have been looking at Federal, Winchester and Remingtons Hevi-shot loads....wondering if the cost is worth it or just stick with a lead shot?
Old 01-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Spike

Default RE: hevi shot vs. lead shot

Used only lead until last year, Rem Hevi-shot last year was very impressive patterning in my Win 1300 and I don't think I'll be going back to lead.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

Over the years I've used a mess of different loads, even the expensive "Custom" loads by Nitro but for the past 2 years I've used Winchester Xtendeds and they have performed extremely well and actually rival the "Custom" loads...Turkeys just drop when hit with a load of 3" #6's...no floppin...no nothin...
Old 01-02-2008, 12:58 AM

I wasn't hunting turkey before tungsten shot came on the scene, so I don't have a lot of experience with killing turkeys. All I know is that each one I have shot with a version of hevi-shot did not even flop. All have been taken within 30 paces.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you plan on, or need to do a lot of shooting at 50+ yd.'s, you might need the hevi-shot loads. I can see where if you've got to hunt in open country, you might consider it. Where I hunt it's unusual to get a shot beyond 30 yd. That being said, I've killed a turkey stone dead at 52 yd.s with #4 lead (mis-judged the range in the rain).
Since then I bought one box of Win Xtended Range after trying them. I have the X-R shell as my second shot in the magazine. I haven't needed it yet.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:20 AM
Fork Horn

Put a piece of tin at about 40 yds. Shoot it with lead and Hevi-shot. The lead will stick in the tin. The Hevi-shot will blow right on through. You can kill them with lead, but you can kill them farther with Hevi-shot.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:11 AM

ORIGINAL: bigangrychicken

Put a piece of tin at about 40 yds. Shoot it with lead and Hevi-shot. The lead will stick in the tin. The Hevi-shot will blow right on through. You can kill them with lead, but you can kill them farther with Hevi-shot.
I did the same test except I used masonite. My test was Winchester 3" mag's 2 oz. of #5 lead vs. Heavy shot 1 5/8 oz. #6. In my gun the lead gave me both better patterns and penetration. For me the lead is cheaper and works as well.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:34 AM

ORIGINAL: eelriver

I did the same test except I used masonite. My test was Winchester 3" mag's 2 oz. of #5 lead vs. Heavy shot 1 5/8 oz. #6. In my gun the lead gave me both better patterns and penetration. For me the lead is cheaper and works as well.
what is your setup...gun/choke?
Old 01-02-2008, 11:53 AM

ORIGINAL: barry1me

ORIGINAL: eelriver

what is your setup...gun/choke?
Remington 11-87 12 ga. 24" barrel with a Wright's choke (.660)
Old 01-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Dominant Buck

I have a Benelli SBE with3 different turkey chokes. I tried federal 3 1/2" 5 shot, the equivalent in Winchester and always got better patterns with the Winchester. I tried Rem. hevi shot and even got a special choke for the load and didn't get that good a pattern. Last year I tried the newer federal flight control high velocity 3 1/2" no. 5 shot and got the best patterning with it. Consistent patterning is the most important to me. Harder hitting Hevi Shot doesn't work for me if the pattern isn't tight.

Quick Reply: hevi shot vs. lead shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.