Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

what is hevi shot?

Old 02-14-2008, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default what is hevi shot?

what materirial is it made of? and what kind of choke can i use for it? i see all these turkey chokes and they all say lead only. any help is appreciated.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what is hevi shot?

It's an alloy, most have tungsten in them. They are heavier than even lead. I wouldn't shoot them out of a choke designated lead only.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nickel is also a component in hevi shot. Some chokes designed for hevi shot are the Undertaker, Primos Jellyhead, Briley makes a hevi shot choke, Tru Glo Gobble-stopper xtreme, Pure-Gold, and MAD Super Max. Make sure it says it't hevi shot compatible before you buy it. I use the Jellyhead and it works great for me. It costs $40 to $50. The MAD Super Max is going to cost you $75 to $80. The hevi shot compatible undertaker is about 20 bucks, but is a good choke for the money. Just make sure it's the hevi shot undertaker. They make several types of undertakers.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

People use hevi-shot becuase it is heavier than lead. Since it is heavier, it has more down-range energy and since it has more down-rage energy, you can get by with a smaller shot size. A rough example would be that a hevi-shot shell that is using #6 shot will have the same energy as that of a lead #5. This is extremely nice because the #6 shot is smaller, resulting in more pellets in the shell. Examples of hevi-shot type shells are Hevi-Shot Hevi-13, Winchester Xtended Range HD, Remington Wingmaster HD, and Federal Heavyweight, just to name a few.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:50 AM

Cabelas makes a really nice choke tube for hevi-shot. I shoot the modified for ducks with hevi-steel and shoots really good through it. The choke tube is only 30 bucks.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0016119225027a&type=product&cm Cat=SEARCH&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&No=18&noImage=0&Ntt=choke +tube&Ntk=Products&QueryText=choke+tube&am p;Ntx=matchall&N=4887&Nty=1
Here is the link for you check them out. Also check out the customer reviews.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hevi-shot itself is a high-density, non-toxic pellet made from tungsten, nickle, iron and one or two other alloys. It was invented by a waterfowl hunter in the NW part of the US in the late 1980s/early 1990s and gained federal non-tox approval sometime around 1993-95. Hevi-shot itself is a proprietary product of Environmetal, the company is based in Sweet Home, Oregon.

Hevi-shot is also a generic term for "high-density" shot, which is basically any type of shot that has a density greater than lead. Density of shot is measured using grams/cubic centemeter or g/cc. Lead has a density (depending on the source) of about 10.8 g/cc. Steel is typically around 7.8 g/cc. Hevi-shot as found in the old Remington loaded shells, and now the Hevi-shot "goose" loads are 12 g/cc... hence they are "heavier/denser" than lead. Hevi-13 is also a product of Environmetal and was developed with turkey hunters in mind. It has a density of (suprise suprise) 13 g/cc. Most of the major ammunition companies now have some proprietary derivitive of hevi-shot in the form of their own High density products.... Remington now has Wingmaster, which is very very similar to Hevi-shot, only slightly softer and more dense. Winchester has Extended Range HD which is almost the same as Wingmaster (although winchester brought out Ex Range before Wingmaster hit the market), Federal has heavyweight, which is acctually to my understanding the most dense of any of the mass produced/mass loaded shot, with a density approaching 15g/cc. There is also a product that has been out for a few years now call Tungsten Super Shot, which is 18g/cc. There have been reports of duck hunters using 28 gauges with cylender chokes taking ducks cleaning out to 50 yards with #7 TSS. Its definately impressive stuff. There are lots of other variants as well... this is just some background.

The reason you should not shoot hevi-shot or other high density shot out of a lead only choke tube is because tungsten, like steel, is a very hard shot. You can scratch you bore or your choke tube if you over choke the shot. Most of high density shot charges perform much better with slightly more open chokes. Which is why you see many of them marketed as such.

As r33h wrote, the advantage is being able to shoot smaller shot, which will give you a more dense pattern, and often greater penetration. The more chances you have to put pellets in the spine/brain of a turkey the better your odds are, but you do still need to have enough energy to penetrate the bone and get to the vitals (the spine and brain).
Old 02-14-2008, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Read here...
http://www.hevishot.com/faq.html

Old 02-15-2008, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

thanks guys. would i might want to go with a full choke rather than a turkey choke? i dont have the money to buy more than one choke and to try out different shells in each choke. thanks again
Old 02-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hurley0816

thanks guys. would i might want to go with a full choke rather than a turkey choke? i dont have the money to buy more than one choke and to try out different shells in each choke. thanks again
You'll have different opinions, but I would go with a turkey choke. You don't have to spend a fortune on a turkey choke. Like I stated earlier, you can buy an Undertaker for $19.99. It's a good choke for the price.