Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

hevyshot users

Old 01-30-2008, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default hevyshot users

I have heard they are the only way to go for turkeys.
I was wondering since you have been shooting them have you noticed any wearing or any thing in your gun barrel.
What kind of choke tube do you use,I am thinking of a tight wad.
Do you notice any tighter patterns.
Any other pros and cons.
I think i notice that last year they were around $10 for 5.

Thanks for any responces.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: hevyshot users

i use em. get great range, tight patterns out to about 45 easy kill, 55 if hes in strut facin you. i havent noticed any wear in my barrel. i use an extra full choke, i forget the brand and model. i think all pros outta my gun with them, give em a try...
Old 01-30-2008, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't tried them for turkey this year...yet, but if they're anything near what a goose load is, I'll be one happy camper. Definitely more range and the knockdown power from hevishot is absolutely phenomenal.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:56 PM

I tried em while I patterned my turkey gun last year and they shot the worst of anything I tried, Ive read you need a choke designed for it, and I am shooting Kicks Gobblin Thunder, and it didnt shoot well at all, my choke may have been too tight.. Ive heard lots of good about hevishot shells, but for the price and my experience I wasnt impressed.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

Some guns shooting Hevi-Shot need less constriction, while others prefer more. The real benefit is the knockdown power. awesome for turkeys, especially at extended distances where you need to break bones and not just cut meat.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:45 PM

i plan on using them this year
Old 01-30-2008, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Gamblinman

Some guns shooting Hevi-Shot need less constriction, while others prefer more. The real benefit is the knockdown power. awesome for turkeys, especially at extended distances where you need to break bones and not just cut meat.
Exactly. My experience with Hevishot is that you need a little less constriction than you would with lead. Hevishot is definitely hard and shouldn't be squeezed too tight. It's definitely not as hard as steel but its definitely not like lead.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt tukey with them as long as we had them, i use a full choke 2 3/4" and have always got my bird with them, one time a couple years ago i had made a quick shot at 60 yards only bird on the property was about to fly over the fence, so i hit it in the body and it fell dead, when we cleaned the bird we saw that the shot went strait through, not one pellet in the breast or feathers
Old 01-30-2008, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

My uncle killeda turkey, at 50 yards, in the last minutes of shooting light.

If you're going to make such shots, don't make them without practicing, because my uncle's buddy, who was with him, shot at the Tom that was next to the one my uncle killed, and he missed, didn't kill, barely winged it.
Make sure you practice, and I know $20 per 5-round box hurts, but believe me, it's well-worth it.

Josiah