Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

GPS users

Old 01-11-2004, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default GPS users

Hello everyone. New to the forum here. I am looking for recommendations for a good GPS. Something that's not too expensive and works good under tree cover. So far I have heard a couple of good things about the Garmin 12. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2004, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: GPS users

the garmin 12 is an old unit, not sure if you can get your hands on them anymore. try the etex or etex summit, both are good units. i have not checked out the geko or the 76 series yet, but you can't go wrong with a garmin.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:20 AM

I have a Garmin 12XL & it's a great unit....have heard many great things about the Etrex.......guess it would depend on what you want out of it....check out Garmins websiite...lots of info there...Brampton Mike [8D]

www.garmin.com
Old 01-12-2004, 11:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

I will throw a vote in for the Magellan Sportrak Map. I bought one back in November and am very happy with its performance in a variety of situations. I think regular price is $199 and the more detailed mapping software is another $100. The standard unit comes with the typical basemap which is find for many folks.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:38 PM

E-trex Vista would be a great choice, I have one and love it!
Old 01-12-2004, 08:54 PM
Fork Horn

Ok, so what all are you going to use the GPS for?? if you looking at a basic like the 12, I asume it will be used for mostly hunting or fishing? just marking spots and finding your way back that sort of thing?? anyway if this is the case, the one I would recomend is the garmin 72. it is a newer unit by garmin, been around for probably a little over a year now I think... anyway that is the unit that replaced the 12... it is slightly larger, just a little bit wider than the 12.. but it has a higher res. and a slightly larger screen.. plus because of the 76 style case it's in it also floats... and it has the increased accuracy of W.A.A.S. that the 12 does not... and it retails for only 10 bucks more than what the 12 did... another plus is that after playing around with just about every single garmin and magellen hand held unit made in the last couple of years, I believe it is by far the easiest to use unit probably ever... especially if you are new to using a gps. if you are used to a different format it might be a little harder to get the hang of... but overall I think for a basic unit you really can't beat the Garmin 72...
Old 01-13-2004, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

I have a garmin GPS 72. I use mine for work and play. I am in college and use it a good bit for feild work in my major. It does fairly well under tree cover although there have been times ive lost reception. The only thing I wish that it had on it is one of the electronic compases that the upper models have. Generally one wont be moving through the woods at a steady enough pace for the 72 to give an extreamly accurate bearing, it will give one though after youve been moving a certain way for a while but you have to pay attention, i just carry a handheld compass most of the time, and a map if im in an unfamiliar area. for the money the 72 is an excellent buy