Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Input on a new turkey gun >

Input on a new turkey gun

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Input on a new turkey gun

Old 01-20-2008, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default Input on a new turkey gun

Alright, I need your suggestions

I've been hunting 9 years and have used just one gun that I bought used for everything, from deer to turkey to squirrel. It's a Mossberg 500 20 ga. I've decided to retire it to deer only, maybe small game also. I want to get a turkey only gun w/ my tax return $Maybe, if it's doable, use it for small game also.

I want something that'll shoot decent out to 40 yards max and can shoot 2 3/4" and 3" shells. I think I'll stay away from 3.5".I like Mossberg but I hate that the forearm rattles nice and loud, so I'm thinking of maybe a Remington. I did hold onto a Mossberg 835 12 ga.,I think it was an ultimag turkey at Walmart, felt really nice. I've been looking on the Remington and Mossberg websites. I really want to get my hands on the Rem. 870 SPS Shurshot...as I'd like something set-up w/ a pistol grip or thumbhole...and it seems those are hard to find for left handed shooters.

So I need some input...seems alot of the turkey guns are 12 ga. and have either 21" or 23" barrels. What's good? What do you guys shoot? Post some pics of your guns if you have them

I guess, being female, my one concern is can I handle the kick of a 12 ga? I shot an older 12ga. slug once..oh my gosh. But I'm guessing turkey guns have really improved and probably aren't too bad.

So any input/advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-20-2008, 05:25 PM

Default RE: Input on a new turkey gun

As of recently I was in the same position as you. I was almost certain I was going to buy a Moss 835or the Rem 870 super max mag turkey gun. Then I picked up a Benelli Supernova, compared the price and quality and IMHO it was a no brainer. The moss was $399 the Rem super max mag was $699 and the Benelli was $419. I also wasnt planning on shooting a 3.5" shell, but once you see how much better they pattern you might be sold on them. A lot of turkies have been killed with 2.75" and 3" and will work well at 40 yards. Another reason I suggest the Benneli super nova is the comfortech stock. It reduces a lot of recoil, and also has the cheek bad which helps reduce the shock you get to your cheek.

http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/supernova.tpl
Old 01-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Typical Buck

I agree withe barry1me...I love my supernova.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

a stoeger model 2000 is a basically half price benelli
i love mine to death
give them a long look
Old 01-20-2008, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

WOW!!!!!I had no idea about the Benelli.I wasn't even considering them, thought they were like $1000 guns! I can get one cheaper than a Remington and I hear alot of good things about Benelli.Not to mention tthe Benelli I could definitely set up for use as small game and deer if I wanted.Anyone know if Basspro carries the Benelli Supernova?

Of course, keep the input coming on guns...I'm still researching.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is the Super Nova , not the 3.5 gun ? I believe the Nova is the 2 3/4 -3" gun. I shoot the 20gauge Nova for a turkey gun [8D]

Anyways only wimps shoot 12 gauge guns, why not try a 20 gauge for turkey, now real turkey hunters are changing to them

Old 01-20-2008, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't confuse the supernova with other benelli's. It's cheaper for a reason. Not knocking anyone who has one, but it's not exactly the top of the line. If you don't want to spend over $600.00, then the supernova will be fine. I would suggest the 870 if you can afford it. Remember this though, if you get a gun to use for turkeys and other birds such as ducks, doves, or quail, I would not recommend the thumbhole or pistol grip. They are great turkey guns, but it's difficult to use them for fast flying birds. I have the Rem. 870 SPS-T thumbhole and use it soley for turkeys. I would agree you should probably use 3 inch shells. The turkey loads in 3 1/2 kick like ****. You can buy a supermag though and shoot 2 3/4, 3, and 3 1/2 inch shells. Don't let me talk you out of buying anything, just an opinion. BTW, you can buy an 870 supermag in black synthetic for about $300.00 to $350.00. It comes with a 26'' barrel. You can use it for all game. Add an extra 50 bucks or so if you want it camoed.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Adrian J Hare

Is the Super Nova , not the 3.5 gun ? I believe the Nova is the 2 3/4 -3" gun. I shoot the 20gauge Nova for a turkey gun [8D]

Anyways only wimps shoot 12 gauge guns, why not try a 20 gauge for turkey, now real turkey hunters are changing to them

Them's fighten words Adrian!!![:@]
Old 01-20-2008, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

As a lefthander I would consider a Browning BPS with it's top tang safety (very ambidextrous!!!)and bottom ejection of spent rounds...It's about as lefthanded a gun you can get without paying the extra dollars on one. Go to your nearest gun store and try several guns to see how they fit you and to make sure you can get to all of the control functions easily...Being lefthanded myself I hate a crossbolt safety on guns like Remington and several others...They are fine guns I just can't get used to finding that safety on the trigger guard.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:20 PM

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

Don't confuse the supernova with other benelli's. It's cheaper for a reason. Not knocking anyone who has one, but it's not exactly the top of the line. If you don't want to spend over $600.00, then the supernova will be fine. I would suggest the 870 if you can afford it. Remember this though, if you get a gun to use for turkeys and other birds such as ducks, doves, or quail, I would not recommend the thumbhole or pistol grip. They are great turkey guns, but it's difficult to use them for fast flying birds. I have the Rem. 870 SPS-T thumbhole and use it soley for turkeys. I would agree you should probably use 3 inch shells. The turkey loads in 3 1/2 kick like ****. You can buy a supermag though and shoot 2 3/4, 3, and 3 1/2 inch shells. Don't let me talk you out of buying anything, just an opinion. BTW, you can buy an 870 supermag in black synthetic for about $300.00 to $350.00. It comes with a 26'' barrel. You can use it for all game. Add an extra 50 bucks or so if you want it camoed.
its cheaper because its a pump gun, not an automatic. My supernova has the same comfortech stock as a Benelli Super black eagle 2. No doubt 3.5"s kick much harder then a 3". Besides patterning your gun when you shoot a few times, you only have to shoot once maybe twice a year I can deal with a little harder kick. The 870 is a great gun, has a great reputation and has served hunters across the country. Im just trying to give you some options. BTW I paid $369 for a supernova with a pistol grip stock and Realtree camo at Gander mountain. You can get black sythetic Supernovas comfortech stock at Sportsman wearhouse for $299.

Quick Reply: Input on a new turkey gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.