Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Indian Creek Chokes.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Indian Creek Chokes.

I am thinking about putting anIndian Creek choke in my 870(12 gauge Super)that I got for Christmas. Does anybody use the combo?
Old 01-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Indian Creek Chokes.

I have not tried that combination, however, I have read a lot of good things about the IC chokes and if I am not mistaken, they are endorsed by the NWTF (I know for a fact they sell them on the NWTF website).
Old 01-10-2008, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just to clear this up for you, That is not the meaning of a Combo.

IC are very good chokes that I have seen and I will be able to tell you more before the spring as they are sending me a couple to test in the 20 Gauge. I will have quite the day testing as I have a Swarm and then the IC to test agaist what I have now and would be surprised if one of them choke out beats my pattern now.

Last season I filmed a person on this site that shot a gobbler and because of the situation the bird was very hard to judge the distance. After the shot and all on film the shooter paised out 70 steps. Now give or take 10 yards that was still a long shot for a 12 ga. The bird dropped like a stone.

Anyways what I am trying to say is It appears to me that IC has the formula to a great choke and it will work in any gun and yours as well. What you need to do is get different ammo and test what shots best from this choke. Hevi -13 in the white shells but Steve should reply in the next couple weeks when he reads this.

The Combo that you mean is the Gun + Choke+ Shells = I have it !

Edit: >>>Not sure why but when I reread this it sounds like I'm taking a stab at you and I'm not what so ever, just thought I would let you know what a combo was ment by....<<<
Old 01-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

Couple weeks. hell I'm on here almost everyday dreaming of huntin' turkeys

As Adrian said I have had awesome success with my Indian Creek out of my 1300. It is after many experiments with many shells however and careful care and cleaning of my gun during patterning. There is an amazing difference when I change ammo and even when I change the prodcution year for the same ammo. As mentioned it needs to be the white shelled Hevi-13 in #6 for my gun and Indian Creek choke. When using the new bronze 2oz Hevi-13 my pattern was very poor past 35 yds.

I think you'll be fine but expect to try a few different loads. Also if your not polishing your barrel it will not yeild effective results after shooting at the range for a patterning session.

I always made sure I was testing each shot in the same controlled scenario. Clean the barrel, let the gun cool, use a rest. I have seen guys pump a shell into thier dirty gun, fire a shot offhand and then say "man, that choke sure is no good in my gun".

By the way there BossTom. I want to be there for that patterning session 12guage versus the 20 guage for a bottle of CR
Old 01-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

When you say "polishing", how are you doing this? JB bore paste or something similar?
Old 01-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Simp , that means super clean. Scotchbrite pads on a brush attached to the drill and the barrel is Glass clean when your finished...
Old 01-10-2008, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks! I was thinking it was something like that.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Fork Horn

My beretta shot amazing then I cleaned it like I have read every where else on the net and it shot just freaking pitiful! I went and bought a cheap case of shells to dirty the barrel back up and it went back to shooting good. Not all guns shoot good clean. Alot of muzzleloaders shoot better dirty. When we use to go to shooting matches we never cleaned cause our POI would move. Sometimes as much as 8 inches at 30 yards. Just some food for thought.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

You're exactly right. When I was shooting NRA Highpower, we'd never dream of swabbing our barrels between relays.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nate121080

My beretta shot amazing then I cleaned it like I have read every where else on the net and it shot just freaking pitiful! I went and bought a cheap case of shells to dirty the barrel back up and it went back to shooting good. Not all guns shoot good clean. Alot of muzzleloaders shoot better dirty. When we use to go to shooting matches we never cleaned cause our POI would move. Sometimes as much as 8 inches at 30 yards. Just some food for thought.
Nate,

That could have something to do with the chemistry of your gun. If the forcing cone is not right on the gun that could cause this, the cleaning agent used possibley. Another thing is the combo for the choke and shells with a clean barrel.

Just something to think about...

sorry about the spelling, wish they had a darn spell check here []