Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Indian Creek or KICKS Chokes? >

Indian Creek or KICKS Chokes?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Indian Creek or KICKS Chokes?

Old 04-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Indian Creek or KICKS Chokes?

I have a Mossberg 835, and would like to upgrade from the factory turkey choke to either a Indian Creek (.675) or a KICKS (.680), I hear good things about each one, but I don't want to spend money on both of them. Does anyone on here use either on in a Mossberg 835, and if you do what ammo do you use and what performance are yougetting with them? Thank you in advance
Old 04-26-2008, 03:09 PM

Default RE: Indian Creek or KICKS Chokes?

just go with a jelly-head .665.

i hear GREAT things about them.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jelly Head is .690, the factory choke is .695, really no difference
Old 04-26-2008, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BOWHUNTERCOP

Jelly Head is .690, the factory choke is .695, really no difference

There is a huge difference in performance... but thats neither here nor there.

I shoot a pure gold .670. If for any reason you are unsatisfied with it after patterning it, they offer a money back satisfaction guarentee... so in my opinon its worth trying.

For what its worth, I'm very happy with my PG, but since I like to tinker, I'm contemplating an Indian Creek myself. Of the two you listed, I'd go with the Indian Creek... heard nothing but great things about them... and apparently they will work with you on finding the best pattern/shell/constriction for your gun if you are unsatisfied with the results. And you can only shoot lead out of the Kicks chokes too.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Indian Creek all day, every day! Do yourself a favor though and call them and ask them what they recommend for your gun. They'll be more than glad to help you and you can just about guarantee the results will be second to none....except Nitro.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

As of now with the factory turkey choke in my 835 I'm using Winchester's Suprems High Velocity #5, 3.5"with good results, I took a bird this year at 30 yards and one last year at 40 yards, but I just think there is room for improvement.

Simp, I emailed them on Thrusday with my questions on what ammo brand, size, etc with there chokes, hopefully this week they reply
Old 04-26-2008, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

A friend of mine uses Hevi 13 with their .660 choke and he throws some awesome patterns. The guys at Indian Creek recommended that shell to him. They told him to be sure to shoot the Hevi 13 shell that had the most shot in it. I think the 3.5" Hevi 13 Bronze shell has 2 ounces, maybe 2.25 ounces of shot in it. That's the one they'll likely recommend.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

SwampCollie, I assume you use the Mossberg 835? If so what ammo are you using with the Pure Gold Choke?
Old 04-27-2008, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BOWHUNTERCOP

SwampCollie, I assume you use the Mossberg 835? If so what ammo are you using with the Pure Gold Choke?

I shot Winchester Extended Range for three or four years (since they introduced it) and I was always very pleased with it (3.5" 2oz #6).

This past winter/spring, I found a deal on some Hevi-13 and tried it out, and it blows the extended range away out of my gun. What I found on sale was not the new for 2008 2 1/4oz loads, but the older, green hulled 1 3/4oz loads. So now I'm shooting Hevi-13, 1 3/4oz #6 through the Pure Gold .670. If you frequent the forums, you've probably seen the picture already, but she gave me 209 hits inside a 10" circle at 40 yards.... and without shooting a shell full of #7 shot, its pretty dang hard to beat if you want raw pattern density.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just got a email from Pure Gold, they told me to use the Hevi 13 in 3", which they feel is better then a 3.5" shell

Quick Reply: Indian Creek or KICKS Chokes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.