Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

First turkey

Old 08-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: First turkey

Here you go guys. We just started hunting this past Thanksgiving, so this is the first harvest we've made. I wanted to Turkey hunt, and I have to admit it's an addiction. There seems to be way more skill to it than deer hunting.

I took vacation the first week of the season, which also happened to be spring break for my son. We saw a few and heard a few but couldn't get near them. We set up on some power lines one afternoon and had a hen come as close as 25 yards and hang around for several hours. After the week was over, we were limited to after work and weekends. On the Tuesday after I went back to work we rode the Honda Rancher (to save time)about a 1/2 mile up the power lines around 5:45 and pulled it into the edge of the woods. Within ten minutes we had the blind set up and a jake and hen decoy out. Around 7:15 we were getting bored so I started calling more often. About 5 minutes later a jake stepped out beside a creek bed and walked right up to withing 10 yards of us. One shot dropped him. There were two great pleasures with this hunt, my 7 year oldwatching with such excitement, andhis reaction when he went to pick up the bird. It dropped flat and didn't move but I knew it would flop. I sent him over and told him to grab it by the legs, so he picked up a decoy stick and poked it...all hell broke loose while he chased a flopping turkey. It was priceless to see him carrying it back with a leg in each hand, but when mommy told him he was full of crap because she didn't hear the shot she seemed a little upset when he carried it in the house.