Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

turkey hunting

Old 06-08-2007, 08:23 PM

Default turkey hunting

i like to hunt and thinkin about taking up turkey hunting do u thank
a 20 gauge shotgun would be good
Old 06-09-2007, 12:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: turkey hunting

I killed my first turkey with a 20 gauge, just keep your shots around 20 yards if you can help it. Remember to use a full choke and to wear alot of camoflauge.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

A lot of people use 20 gauge shotguns for turkeys. Get 2 or 3 boxes of turkey loads and see what one patterns out the best. If your gun has a screw in choke use a turkey choke if possible.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 20 gauge is by far as good a turkey gun then any 12 out there for the size of the shells. The thing with a 20 is to get a Good choke and something that has the quality in it. This is going to cost some money but it will make a difference.

What I have found with the 20 is that Hevi shot seems to form better patterns then copper loads. By testing the different loads you can turn a 20 yard gun into a 40 yard with No problem. This past season I seen my gun drop birds into the 40+ yards with Hevi 13 #6 and now am going to take the gun to the testing again. I have ordered another 2 chokes to test agaist what I have to see if I can get another combo that will out pattern what I have now. ( I will fill everyone in on the resaults) later this summer.

Every turkey gun I've seen on the range has patterned the best with $60.00 - $100.00 chokes not the 30-40 dollar stuff. The reason is the way the chokes are made. All chokes have tappers in them and the shorter the tapper the cheaper the choke, something to think about..
Old 06-09-2007, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

20ga will be perfect...eventually youll find out it really doesnt take a cannon to shoot a dang turkey...its other stuff like patience and things like that that is the most important. I think even a .410 would take a turkey if it was a good shot.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:15 AM

i think a 20 gauge would be fine
Old 06-11-2007, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

A 20 guage should work just fine. As posted before, try to keep you shoot distance close..around 20 to 25 yards so you can get a clean kill. Personally, if you have access to a 12 guage, then I would use that instead.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

20 ga would be fine. Do a lot of reading, learning, scouting, practice, scouting, practice, scouting, practice, watching turkey hunting videos, ask questions, scouting and practice.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do yourself a favor and don't start turkey huntingbecause once you go and hear that ol' tom gobble you'll be hooked!Seriously though, turkey hunting is the absolute most addictive thing that I've ever done. One piece of advice would be to read up on anything and everything that you possibly can as far as equipment goes. The turkeys have a mind of their own and you can only do so much while hunting them, then they have to meet you somewhere in the middle for a hunt to be successful. Equipment is another matter all together though. Read, read and then read some more.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Simp

Do yourself a favor and don't start turkey huntingbecause once you go and hear that ol' tom gobble you'll be hooked!Seriously though, turkey hunting is the absolute most addictive thing that I've ever done. One piece of advice would be to read up on anything and everything that you possibly can as far as equipment goes. The turkeys have a mind of their own and you can only do so much while hunting them, then they have to meet you somewhere in the middle for a hunt to be successful. Equipment is another matter all together though. Read, read and then read some more.
I agree with you. Also..learn to be VERY patient. Turkeys are extremely smart and will frustrate you, but in the end when you win the battle against that big tom youll see how much worth it it was to stay patient.