Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Help for the fall???

Old 05-31-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Help for the fall???

Just wondering if anyone of you guys hunted turkey in the fall in IN, IL OH, KY, TN, WV, or MS that would be willing to take me out and show me the ropes for a little bit of money? This past spring was my first season hunting and I am ADDICTED. I was unsuccessful this spring and am looking to learn anything I can to help in the future!! Anyone willing to help out? Thanks guys!
Old 05-31-2007, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help for the fall???

To be honest Mossy....hunting birds in the fall ain't going to teach you much about hunting them in the spring...especially the further north you go.

Sure its fun, espeically if you hunt with someone who has turkey dogs...but personally...I turkey hunt for one sound and one sound only...and that a gobble....and while I have heard shock gobbles in the fall...it ain't NOTHING like the spring...so I save my time, money and espeically those oh so precious tags.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:33 PM

I know fall hunting is a lot different than spring hunting. But I am sure that doesn't mean birds can't be killed in the fall. If they couldn't there wouldnt be a season. You hunting whitetails differently during the rut then you do early or late archery season. Yet there are still monsters killed in these seasons. Even thought it may be a little bit slower and you may have a little less action, you couldn't pay me to stay out of my deer stand during these off seasons. I truly do appreciate the advice but being new to the sport of turkey hunting I'd like to learn as much about the sport all around so I can capitalize on every opportunity I am presented with.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fall turkey usually falls during some good deer hunting days... I'm with Swamp on this one...
Old 06-01-2007, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

Don't let them discourage you from tackling the fall season. You have several months to prepare. Read all u can, go to your local library & see if they have anything. Your local newstand very well may have the Turkey & Turkey Hunting magazine to read too.The fall birds, regardless of sex, are focused on food & survival, not on mating that the spring season brings. So during the summer, locate hardwoods that have a good number of oaks. However, if your area suffered the early April freeze that many states did, there may not be any white oaks this season. Birds also love crusing pasture fields during the fall catching grasshoppers & various other bugs. Locate these likely places during the summer, read all u can & continus to ask questions on here or over at NWTF .org message boards. There are plenty of fall hunters to help give advise.