Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Found a turkey egg

Old 05-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Found a turkey egg

I shot my tom a few weeks ago and have been working around the house planting gardens etc. I wasadding bark mulch in a couple of gardens and around some of the fruit trees and when I was roughing up the old mulch I found 2 different turkey eggs in separate gardens. Each egg was all by itself buried in old bark mulch. The two eggs were about 50 yds apart. I know it was a turkey egg but never heard of them being buried. I have seen several turkey nests and these places were not like a nest. The eggs were both this years and buried about 2" under the mulch. I wonder if something stole the eggs and stashed them for a future meal. BTW I live in the northeast. Any ideas? This is the first time I have ever seen this.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Found a turkey egg

Very interesting. Not sure myself. Wish I could help, but I am very curious myself. hhhhmmmm......
Old 05-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have heard that a younginexperienced hen will sometimes just pick a spot and lay an egg. A friend of mine found two turkey eggs in a grouse nest....hatched. That was one determined momma grouse.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:51 AM
Dominant Buck

An update:
I just went out this morning at daybreak to the mail box for the news paper and walked through the orchard past the apple tree where one of the eggs was buried and all the mulch was torn up around that tree only. Something came in the night and went right to that particular tree and looked for the egg. I figure it has to be a fox or coyote since they are both canines and dogs bury bones for a future meal. Because it happened at night it eliminated a turkey. I haven't seen or smelled any skunks this year and the foxes and coyotes which are abundant keep their numbers low. We do have otters and mink nearby but I doubt that they would bury an egg. So far nothing touched the flower garden where the second egg was found.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like setting a game cam up by your flower garden is in order
Old 05-31-2007, 09:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Good idea if I had one.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

I was thinking game cam then I read the next post bingo trail cam RIstruttstopper don't great minds think alike.