Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How many fans?

Old 05-22-2007, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How many fans?

i got a fall hen on a shelf and a longbeard mounted with his fan. usually keep the newest longbeard fan....this year im going to make a nice mount plaque for my beards spurs and fan since he was a double bearded bird...i want to make a nice display for him...and keep my other mount i made on the wall as well...

my other beard and spurs is hangin from my rear view mirror...i was keeping fans in the garage..but they got thrown out when we moved[:@]..last falls hen got eaten by mice while i was at college that week and couldnt do anything with it besides salt it in the garage...guess they like salty turkey meat...feathers were everywhere.

i dont have room to have tons of fans all over the place...but one day when i move out i'll end up saving them all

beards and spurs no question about it get saved....except my biggest set of spurs...got stolem by mice i had them in a dixie cup of borax...they dissappeard....i never even got to measure them! i know they were long hooked and sharp...pics tell the same story but i still dont know what they measured....live and learn...i now keep everything off the garage floor! who would thought they would ruin salted or boraxed stuff!
Old 05-22-2007, 08:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mauser
I lost my first pheasant tails to mice in the garageI feel your pain.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:20 AM
BKE
Fork Horn

ccobbett, I would really like to see that. I've wondered about doing that )( if I ever get a chance) considering it would be way much cheaper than a fullmount.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've killed 31 birds and have 5 fans on display. The best three easterns...all with mondo beards. Then the prettiest Rio I have and mylone blackwing.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have two three mounts. Two I had done professionally by a taxidermist and I did one myself. The one I did myself was a smaller jake and the other two done by a taxidermist were really nice, mature gobblers.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

I have one eastern fan,a rio fan, and a flying mount of an osceola that I havent picked up yet. I used to have a couple dozen eastern fans and a full strutting mount that never seemed to find a good place in any corner of the house. The wife finally put an end to all that tailfan display andI relented to putting up beards in shotgun shell cases on a spur necklace and having one fan on my living room wall next to one rack of a nice 8 pointer I killed. I now have a box full ofspurs and ropes. I take photos of all my birds and the feathers go for arrow building supplies.I doubt I will ever pin out another fan unless its amerriams. That will find a place in my home for sure but gone are the days of displaying every fan from every turkey I have killed.There aint enough wall space, and as my wife puts it this isnt the hunting lodge.

Ive also done quite a few cape mounts for folks and they are super nice.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was up at my deer camp for 10 days and shot a jake the 2nd or 3rd day... I had quite a few days left to hunt so I decided to take the fan and fan it out and salt it down... I put a few magazines on it to keep it in place... I put the feet and beard on top of the magazines and put the fan up on a shelf... Well I went to take a look at it a few days later and found the fan totaly distroyed by mice... They eat the feet down to the bone and ate the meet holding the beard together... The only thing that was salvagable was the little spursI was surprised at how much damage those littledudes can do
Old 05-23-2007, 04:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

man...glad i aint the only one with mice problems!! stinks i lost my best spurs[:@]...

also shot a beautiful red squirrel at my buddys camp. i almost coughed up the 100+ to mount it..big and beautiful...i decided not to for some odd reason....well we had 3 more days there or somethin. one evening we got in early from grouse hunting and were going to wait a while for dinner so i skinned it out real nice and was going to tan it up myself when i got home. hung up from the poarch rafters to stay fresh. it was 20 degrees for the high..i had grouse fans drying on the poarch all week...nothing bothered them...sure enough my squirrel skin was gone within minutes i bet...never seen it after i hung it up!! the same dang critter ate nearly a whole BIG cheese cake we set on the poarch...i was jacked..i wanted that cheese cake...i'll wise up one day...its just so much easier up there to leave stuff outside than to stuff the refridgator with a weeks food
Old 05-23-2007, 06:19 PM

i saw on a hunting show once where Craig Morgan has a unique way of displaying turkey fans. He turns them upside down, and pins them right up next to the ceiling. He puts them in a row touching and made a border around the whole room. looks really neat with all the other mounts, so im saving mine up to do just this. I have killed 6 turkey and only have 2 fans, but only two of my turkeys have been longbeards so it kinda works out.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

7 in my pole barn, one in my sons room. he had three others that were destroyed in a house fire and i had one in the house also that got toasted.[&o]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.