Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Wisconsin & Minnesota hunts... >

Wisconsin & Minnesota hunts...

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Wisconsin & Minnesota hunts...

Old 05-20-2007, 12:30 AM
Typical Buck

Default Wisconsin & Minnesota hunts...

I started off the season byhunting Wisconsin two weeks ago. I started out the first morning with blind, decoys, and bow only to have a huge gobbler strutting at about 80 yards but he and his hens didn't want anything to do with me. I switched later in the morning to the gun and went to the run n' gun approach which I enjoy. I got two gobblers to respond at noon and traded calls with them and then played it silent. They didn't move from their position on the opposite hillside so I figured they might have hens with them. I circled downhill to a different position along an old logging road and called again. Wouldn't you know it...they gobbled where I'd been 10 minutes before. I switched to soft clucks and purrs. A few minutes later down the road they came single file. Caught me with the gun down and were at full alert when I slowly raised the gun and knocked the lead bird down. He had a good beard at 10" but he only weighed 19.5 lbs. Strange as a bird with that size beard from that area is normally around 22 to 23 lbs. Anyway, one down and one hunt in Minnesota this next weekend to go. We had a great time camping/hunting and one of the guys, Kevin, got his first bird as well which was good to see. He has had a rough time of it as he has a degenerative brain disorder and taxia as well and couldn't walk too far but he would sit all day and it paid off for him. I was his official gun toter and helping hand up a few hills. It really makes you appreciate what you have and also to be positive as Kevin has a great attitude despite his condition. Here are stats from NWTF calc and some pix from the hunt.

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x249/ir...nsinGobbler.jpg

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x249/ir...ntLandscape.jpg

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x249/ir...ent=TheCrew.jpg

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x249/ir...dmanCanyon4.jpg

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x249/ir...dmanCanyon1.jpg

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x249/ir...-ValleyView.jpg

Next up was my Minnesota hunt. I went down to stay with a landowner and his girlfriend. I've known him for years and we've become good friends. I had permission to hunt his farm that his son lives on along with two other farms there and then his new place where his girlfriend has 80 acres. We took a cruise on the ATV the day I arrived and met some two other adjacent landowners and got permission. Then I went down the road and asked another lady who owned an extra 40 with a cabin. She gave me her card and said she rents it out when she isn't there so that was cool. So that original 80 turned into about 600 acres to roam.

First morning, I snuck onto the back corner of a field and setup. I was just sitting down when he gobbled on a hillside bordering the field. I called and he was already on the field edge trotting my way. My first thought is...I haven't had one this easy in awhile. Well, he got to about 60 yards out and two hens to his left got his attention and the game was over. That afternoon, I went back to same field and spotted a gobbler in a corner next to the road. I swung wide thru the woods, used a row of hay bales to hide my advance, and hit the road at a fast walk. I figured he was heading for water as it was hot and midday. I tiptoed up a steep bank and slid under a tree to setup. A few calls and I could see the fan coming down the field edge. The thick vegetation wasn't helping and I readied the gun. He came out of his fan and I could see red thru the "V" in a tree in front of me. Just waiting for him to clear it but it wasn't to be. Not sure if he spooked when the hen wasn't visible or if he saw movement. Suddenly, he was nowhere to be found. I waited a bit and then backed out and swung wide on the other side of the creek and up to another section of the field. I setup there where I could see good from different directions and called occasionally for awhile. Nothing.

Day two I tried the same field but no gobbling. Didn't waste time as I heard a distant gobble across the road and made my way up several steep hills to get back there. Worked him for awhile but he wasn't coming. Beyond him there were two hot gobblers that were gobbling constantly and continued doing so while I closed the distance. They were in a beautiful meadow and I slid up to it's edge and setup in the brush where I could see their approach. With the thick vegetation, I was able to use the glasses and watch the show. There were two huge gobblers and they were hammering on every call I put out. I switched to contented clucks and purrs along with scratching leaves and an occasional wing flap. They closed the distance to within about 60 yards and I readied the gun. My heart was pumping hard as these two had some shoulders on them. Just when I thought I had them they turned and went back to their hillside. You wouldn't believe the sound of their gobbles and how the sound changed when they got closer. Wow! Needless to say, they weren't buying what I was selling so the game was over and they made their way off the meadow. Great show though. I vowed to go back there in the morning.

Day 3...bear with me as I had so many encounters the days are confusing. I made my way to the meadow where the two heavyweights were early that morning. Arrived about 5:15am and snuck along in the woods along the backside of the meadow so they wouldn't spot me if roosted close. Got setup and they started in. One up on the hillside behind me, one down the meadow, and one directly across from me on the other hillside above the meadow. I called really softly just to let them know I was there and waited. After gobbling for awhile, I heard the wingbeats from across the meadow and the rush of air coming my way. He came at me wings splayed out and turned left at the last moment. I swung the gun as much as I dared as he landed. Started gobbling that deep throaty gobble but I couldn't get on him as he was behind a small tree with some budding brush. I could occasionally see some white of his head when he'd come out of his fan. Finally he took a step to the left and I squeezed the trigger. NOTHING!! No click at all. Gun didn't fire. Somehow my Remington pump was not working as planned. I pulled back the pump and tried to ease it shut but that didn't work as it didn't click shut. Pulled it back again and slammed it forward. Gobbler started putting and ran up the hill. No shot. Disappointment was thick in the air. I gathered myself for a bit and then heard them both gobbbling up a steep bluff directly behind where I was sitting. I snuck up there stopping to catch my breath quite a few times. When I reached the top I was pouring sweat. I called again and they responded from the field in front of me. I moved to the right to setup in a small opening and made the mistake of not looking before crossing the opening as the birds were both on their way and busted me. All I could do was shake my head, grit my teeth, and press on. I decided to go back to dry my clothes and get ready for the 11am 2nd wave as they birds normally get hot again after their morning hens. I went to other farms and it turned windy. I scoured a field edge on a bluff top and heard a distant gobble. I made my way where I thought it was coming from and dropped off a steep hillside where it was really calm. About 50 yards from the bottom field edge, I stopped to call and he gobbled down off to my right. I called again to make sure of his location and then moved down about 10 yards and setup. He continued gobbling and coming up the hill. It was so thick where he was that I couldn't see him although he was already in range. I had the gun up and red dot on waiting. He quit gobbling and then things got tense. I knew he was coming but couldn't see him. I had an itch was really getting bad so I slowly reached to scratch...Putt...Putt...Putt...He was to my left directly below me but I couldn't see him at first. Then I saw him and he was closer than I'd thought. I took the safety off and pulled up on him. He was running hard at that point and I promptly missed him at about 15 yards. Again...shake your head...collect your thoughts...grit your teeth...and move on.

Day 4...it was colder this morning and not hardly any gobbling except one hot gobbler. Unfortunately, he was on property I didn't have permission for but I did climb to a road on the top of a bluff and worked the line. Then climbed down to bottom again and worked him. He just kept gobbling back and forth but wouldn't budge. I waited awhile and then heard a few gobbles coming from the top field that I'd walked on a previous day. I climbed the bluff again and made my way down the road to the field. Caught a coyote chasing mice in the field. He was coming my way and I was going to take him out. Just when I was about to pull up on him, I heard a gobble right behind me on the road. I made a quick turn, sat down, and could see a black form coming down the road within about 1 second later. I got the gun ready and pointed it on the left side of a huge oak while I watched him come up from the right side. Then I lost sight of him and focused on the left. He came around the oak at about 9 steps and I had another no fire. I tried to eject a shell and the bird putted and flew back down the road. I snuck back on the next corner of field, worked my gun till I got the pump to lock in place, and started calling. I heard a gobble coming from the road and couldn't believe he was still there. I made my way over and down a side road coming off that road and called again. He gobbled and then gobbled closer. He was right above me and then he continued back to the field where I'd scared him. I snuck down the road in the woods and slid up to that huge oak I'd been at before and watched him fanning in the field. I did some calling as I was approaching and then just some soft stuff and then quit. It was more than he could handle as I watched him start walking off the field to the road edge. I slid down and rolled over onto the road in the prone position. With the thick grass I was well hidden. It seemed like forever before he came into view of the red dot and I beaded and fired. Bird down. I hit him at about 10 yards and my hunt was over. He was 22.5 lbs and 10.25" beard with decent spurs. Pix are below. Sorry for the long winded story....

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x249/ir...07MNTurkey3.jpg

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x249/ir...urkeyweight.jpg
Old 05-20-2007, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Wisconsin & Minnesota hunts...

Very good stories and very nice birds. Congrats...
Old 05-21-2007, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wisconsin & Minnesota hunts...

Wow...time to take a breath. Congrats on your birds.