Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Sunday morning nap with a lil extra >

Sunday morning nap with a lil extra

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Sunday morning nap with a lil extra

Old 05-07-2007, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sunday morning nap with a lil extra

Well the only chance we had to get out and turkey hunt for my buddy this weekend was sunday so we headed out for the mornin. It was really windy so we just set up in a hay field where we figured birds had been comin to and we set up on a high spot around a bend in the field where it was kinda protected and outta the wind. Heard one bird on the roost but it was nowhere near us so I figured we'd just sit there and take a nap for a couple hours (only had about 7 hours of sleep in the last two days with carp tournys and stuff so it wasn;t hard to sleep) and see if anything shows up in the field. I'd wake up look the field over call about every 15 minutes. My buddy slept most of the time but did wake up to one gobble about 400-500 yards away. Not sure how he heard it but I listened and heard it again. So I made some calls and nothin happened so we went back to sleepin. Woke up about 15 minutes later to 2 toms and 4 jakes standin about 60 yards away in the field. O boy now what. They are lookin towards the deeks and didn't know what to do so I quickly kicked my buddy in the head to wake him up and thought the birds seen him but they didn't. The wind helped greatly. I was like your gonna have to shoot now but his gun was still in his lap, i said I think they aren't gonna come in anymore and right when I said that the biggest tom decided to come. I turned the video camera on and he walked to about 45 yards and started to fan out but he realized he was all alone and the others didn't follow. (We had a hen and strutting tom decoy out) So he got nervous and stuck his head up and didn't know if he should come in to challenge or head back with his gang. I said "shoot him now, shoot him"... Buddy crubbled him at 45yards. First spring turkey for him and we got the shot on camera. Only got about 30 secs of futage though. haha. O-well. Last day bird of his 5 day season so we were pretty happy and we even got to sleep. I think we were in the woods for an hour and a half and slept for about an hour and 15 minutes of it. lol. WCL

21 1/2lbs - 10 1/2" beard - 1" spurs

Old 05-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sunday morning nap with a lil extra

Nice bird...congrats!
Old 05-07-2007, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the bird. It is nice when luck goes our way. Nice bird.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Very nice bird congrats...
Old 05-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice bird, Congrats!
Old 05-08-2007, 01:52 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats on the bird!