Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 HAD A FUN HUNT SUNDAY MORNING >

HAD A FUN HUNT SUNDAY MORNING

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

HAD A FUN HUNT SUNDAY MORNING

Old 11-06-2006, 02:48 PM
G5

Default HAD A FUN HUNT SUNDAY MORNING

Just thought i would share cool experience with ya.

I got out to my stand sunday about 30 minutes before daybreak. It was a cold wet morning. It poored all the way to the woods and had let up to a slight mist by the time i got on stand. So while i was waiting for light to break i decided that i didnt have any confidence in my stand location. So by 6:30 against my better judgement i was out of my stand and still hunting my property.I had been moving silently through the woods for about an hour when i noticed i was standing within 20 yards of a spike. When i first saw him, he blew at me right away. Then the damn thing ran a circle around me and ended up standing with in feet of me. Remember i am standing in the wide open for all of this. So the spike(not legal to shoot because of the 3 point rule) stands next to for a few minutes then walks about 10 yards and turns broadside to me. By this time because of the position im standing in i got pretty shakey and couldnt wait for him to give me a chance to either squat to my knees or stand up or any other postion i than i was in. well he stood broadside from me for about 10 minutes and finally gives me a chance to move. As soon as he moved and went to reposition myself a caught glimpse of another deer out of the corner of my eye. A big 10 only 15 yards me. He was standing just down from the top of the ridge, exactly where he was supposed to be. From my position all i could see was the top of his back and his head. I waited for the spike to get behind some brush and for the buck to turn away. As soon as the buck turned his head i made a break for tree between us. This tree put me a about 12 yds from him. Once i got to the tree and calmed my self a bit i peaked around to asses the situation and where i might be able to take a shot. This all went on for about 40 minutes and then out of no where i see this doe. Amazing how they just appear sometimes. So anyway at this point i realized why i had gotten away with standing so close to him without him paying any mind. then the doe started to move on with the buck right up her a**. and i was never given a shot. The spike stayed around for a little longer to watch and gave me all the shot opportunities i wanted. Finally he walked away and i got sit down and pull myself together.sothat was the closest ive been to a mature buck on the ground while standing in the open. I have had some fun ground hunts before but this was by far the coolest. Sorry for the long read i just wanted tell of my funnest ground hunt to date. And i didnt even kill anything
Old 11-06-2006, 02:58 PM

Default RE: HAD A FUN HUNT SUNDAY MORNING

Funniest my eye........I would call that nerveracking........ I hate it when it happens like that. You get caught out in the open, deer everywhere to bust you, you cant move , you are afraid to even breath, then everyone decides to go on their merry way. So you sit down and collect what is left of your nerves and sanity, and go home spent.

ARGGGGGGHHHH.... I would rather shove a butter knife through my forehead. I mean how do they know to send the one deer you can't legally shoot out in the open to prance around offering all kinds of shot opportunities. It's a conspiracy...

Old 11-06-2006, 03:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: HAD A FUN HUNT SUNDAY MORNING

Sounds like the deer around here. They are snickering and laughing behind our backs.