Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Sunday morning hunting fun >

Sunday morning hunting fun

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sunday morning hunting fun

Old 10-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sunday morning hunting fun

Wow What a Sunday morning I had. Late post I know but been busy. I got in the woods at about 5:00 am. I'm sitting in my stand waiting for the sun to come up when It looks like i see something moving under my ladder stand. I look down and try to focus a little closer and it looks like a racoon. I'm sitting there thinking I hope he don't decide to climb up into this tree I'm sitting in because I know how mean these suckers can be especially if spooked. He finally walks away.
The sun finally comes up and I look out across the field (actually it's 2 fields) and I see a nice size doe about 350 yards out. I'm watching her when about another 50 yards past her I see a nice buck along the tree line. They both stay out there for awhile when out comes a smaller buck and starts to walk along the tree line. I sit there and watch these deer for a little bit thinking that one of them would come my way. Then to the right of me at about 75 yards a doe and 2 fawns come out of the corner of the woods and instead of coming towards me they cut diagonal across the field from me. I then decide to try and call them into me. Well all they would do is stop and look in my direction. they end up walking out across the field from me and mull around eating the corn out of the cut field. In the mean time the smaller of the 2 bucks I was watching earlierwas walking over to where the doe and fawns were. About 250 yards away. Finally the doe and 2 fawmns walk around the bend away from the buck. Now I can tell it is a decient 6 pointer so I decide I'll try to call it over to me. All he does is look in my direction too.Apparently these deer don't want to come to the call just yet. (Wonder if a decoy used while calling would have brought them in.) Any way I am seeing quit a few deer and the whole time I have been hearing something behind me all morning and I look around behind me and see nothing. Ok 90% of the time it's a squirrel. So I am watching 12 deer in total by this time now. I look and it is just 7:00 am still. The 6 pointer is just walking along the tree line eating and he comes up to a couple of trees and looks like he is trying to decide to make a few scrapes or not.In all I watched the 6 pointer for 2 hours and the doe and fawns for 3 hours until they decide to go into the woods. At around 10:00 I call my buddy and we decide to go to another location and scout it out because we had just heard about this area. I start to gather up my things when I hear something out in front of me. I look up and see an 8 pointer. I luckily still had my arrow nocked. I figured oh well I'll give it a try. Then I get my bow while I'm watching this deer and I hear something move. I see it isnthim so I look aroung the tree limd and there is a different 6 pointer with this 8 pointer. Well I guess the 6 saw me and stomped the ground. They both took off across the field.I figured whet the heck I'll try calling to these 2. Well guess what. LOL. They just stopped and looked too. I am not quit sure if these 2 bucks were making the noises I had heard all morning or not. I didn't see where they came from. it was either from behind me in the woods or from the left of me around the tree line. All I know is that they didn't come from the field.
I was kind of worried because of this EHD disease that has been hitting the deer in this area pretty bad. From what I saw Sunday morning it isn't in my area. I saw 14 deer total this morning so I am alot happier now

Jim1966
Old 10-18-2007, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sunday morning hunting fun

It always makes it more fun when you have deer to watch, even when your not going to shoot one!!
Old 10-21-2007, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sunday morning hunting fun

Went out October 20th only saw 4. It was a little windy though. So hopefully that was why I didn't see as many.