Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 What to do with my decoys????? HELP! >

What to do with my decoys????? HELP!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What to do with my decoys????? HELP!

Old 04-30-2007, 12:12 PM

Default What to do with my decoys????? HELP!

I am just wondering what to do with my decoys...I have a B-Mobile and also two hens that go in feeding, breading, or upright position. I did not know if you all had any suggestions on how to face them or how far apart to space them....OR any advice at all for using them...This is my first season and any advice helps!!!! Also I am hunting with a bow if that makes a difference. Thanks guys...
Old 04-30-2007, 12:19 PM

Default RE: What to do with my decoys????? HELP!

some of us dont care for decoys ,,they make a good cushion or a pillow a pillow if want to take a nap..
Old 04-30-2007, 12:38 PM
Fork Horn

Well, Ive been hunting for about 5-6 years now, and have had some great success. Some dont like decoys, I LOVE them. I usually set out two hens, or two hens and a jake. But I have hearsd awesome reviews about the full strut decoys. Well, first of all, I'd use all three of them. Face the decoys away from were you expect the toms to come from, never face them in the direction of the birds. Reason being, they will come in and try to get infront of the decoys so they can be seen. If it is possible, set the decoys up just behind you, exspecially hunting with a bow, this way they will look past you, anbd also if they "hang up" they should still be in range because you are out infront of the decoys. As for the strutter, I've never used one, but again, dont face him towrd where you expect the birds to come from, pr4ob. face him sideways, looking at your hen decoys..... hope this helps.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:48 PM
Fork Horn

Just put them out in front of you, you could put the hens close to each other and the B-Mobile(BOB they call him) a little futher away and when I say away- I mean just a a yard or two. We have taken out 4 turkeys with BOB the B-Mobile. It has worked great in are neck of the woods. As soon as the toms seen BOB and came right to us!! Good Luck to ya!!
Old 04-30-2007, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thinksome of the people here who don't like decoys didn't have much success using them and lost confidence in them. I have had good success using them. I usually use one or two hens. I don't use them all the time though. I killed both of my birds this year without dekes, but I still like using them. Two out of mythree birds last year were killed using a decoy. It's just like anything else, sometimes they work great, sometimes they don't. More, than not, for me though.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:04 PM

I assume you are bowhunting from a blind? If so you would like to have the strutter facing your blind 10-20 yards out depending just how close you want him to come in. You could put the breeding hen 5 yards around him and the feeding hen, myself I would put on the other side of the blind (also facing you) in case a bird came from the other direction. I am sure plenty of people would disagree with me but hey thats cool. You want the strutter to face you so if the gobbler wants to fight he will circle and face him, turning his back to you. Then feeding hen is facing you so if a silent bird comes in the hen is not looking his direction therefore she would not know the gobbler was there and would not walk to him like mother nature entends. just my .02 cents.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:24 PM

Listen, it's not rocket science when a dominate.jealous gobbler comes in. I prefer a half strut tom or a full body tom decoy and 3-4 hen decoys. This is how I hunt most of the time. I also lay a hen very low to the groung and put the full-strut tom almost on her tail. Drives them dominate birds crazy! Just make sure if there is a good breeze a blowin you keep the decoys from moving unaturally. Good luck.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

May I suggest placing1 hen no more than 3 feet from your strutter. Place the hen in the submissive breeding position low to the ground. Place your other hen a few yards off the side as if she is interested in watching the "show". Also, don't face both of your hens decoys the same way. This will allow any approaching bird to see atleast one of the hens with the strutter regardless of what angle a Gobbler approaches your set-up. These decoys WILL perfectly positon your bird for you to make that perfect shot. Remember, a Gobbler will most often stand beak to beakand make eye contact with your stutter, he will also prefer to approach your hens from the rear, use this to your advantage.Good luck

We've had very good luck positioning Pretty Boy and his girlfriend as shown below.