Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Change in tactics????

Old 04-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Change in tactics????

I hunted TEN separate hunts in the first week of our turkey season, last week. I had a few birds stroll by on opening day.....but I'm not sure they came to my calls.....or if they just sauntered by.

I'm hearing PLENTY of birds on the roost and at fly down (12-15 each morning). They're just not coming in to the calls. We were really aggressive with them, this past weekend.....to no avail.

I've also been employing a lone hen decoy.....and I'm wondering if I need to switch up this tactic to get them to commit. I KNOW they're likely henned up......and it's been a little frustrating in this regard. I'll likely get out only 3-5 times, this week, and I'm wondering what you guys think I should utilize as a tactic......as my season is progressing.

Thanks, in advance, for your responses.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Change in tactics????

I'm guessing hunting will get better must because the hens would naturally go to next soon. You may want to try more decoys. IMO, a group of hens are more likely to come over to 2-3 other hens vs. just one hen. Generally the one lonesome hen will go to meet the group of hens. Once you have a group of hens in sight, just purr and hope they come in.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

how long do you hunt?? the whole morning or are you like me and give in after a couple hours??

i hear that if you wait around they usually fire back up and come back later..hear that from many successful turkey killers that been hunting for years...i dont have the patience to sit there...to me the fun of turkey hunting is the gobbling...if they aint talkin im running to find me one that will gobble...usually henned up or walking away...but im going to work on my patience this year...
Old 04-23-2007, 12:21 PM
Dominant Buck

I've been hunting to at least 10:30 or so.....and up until 12:00 (or after). i usually get back at it after 4:00.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are really only 2 things you can do when it gets slow like that. Either get to a spot the turkeys frequent and just stay put, maybe call every once ina while, or get out and find a bird. To do that you can either go the the roads or somewhere to try to spot one and sneak up on them or you can walk and talk and hope you get one to respond. I've killed birds with all theses methods but had the most success with waiting patiently. Good luck!
Old 04-23-2007, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you have a jake try make it looking like its mounting a hen if you havent tried it. this can work for toms as well as groups of jakes. Also maybe try gobbling on a box call or some other call that can make that sound. Have you tried pissing off the hens? I have done this and had a 4-5 gobblers and several hens come within 40 yards of me but due to a fence and rise I couldnt shoot. Just some suggestions that have worked for me. Good Luck!