Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

OH WHAT A FEELING

Old 04-21-2007, 03:03 PM
Spike

Default OH WHAT A FEELING

i shot my first turkey today and this is my first year of turkey hunting. I have hunted deer for over 15 years. I can see why turkey hunting can be addicting. I was able to call my gobbler within 40 yards and he wasnt going to get any closer i took the shot and dropped him in his tracks. He weighed 23lbs and had a 10" beard. I live in iowa and we have a fourth season i can hunt but that dosnt open until may. Would i be able to still call them in or are they done breeding by then? I know i am now hooked on turkeys.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: OH WHAT A FEELING

Welcome to the addiction. I got my first turkey with a bow this morning! (8 total). yes the hunting should be better in most cases in the 4th season as the hens will be nesting and the toms will still look for love, however they might be smarter when it comes to hunters and setups. where abouts in iowa you from I live and hunt in north central iowa (Hancock/Winnebago counties) Congrats on the turkey and be sure to post pics if possible!
Old 04-21-2007, 04:17 PM
Spike

i live in sw iowa, Council Bluffs. The cool thing about my first turkey is that i shot it on public landin the Loess Hill. Congrats on your first with a bow.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats To the Both of You on getting your first's.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, a lot of times I've had better luck calling in birds during 4th season. I cant wait till may 2nd! I shot one on opening day of 1st season. I hunt parts of southern Iowa and northern Iowa. Congrats to you on your first and welcome to the addiction.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats and welcome to the awesome world of turkey hunting...