Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Snow ?!?!?!?

Old 04-12-2007, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Snow ?!?!?!?

Well we have a couple inches of snow here at the Iowa/Wisconsin border....and it is spring turkey season.

Has anyone ever taken a SPRING gobbler in the snow before? Of all my years hunting, I can't say I have.

If anyone has, how were the birds acting? Where they still gobbling in the roost? We're the Toms answering to calls? Did they come in to your call or did you stalk them? Just wondering what to expect......kinda puts a damper on the SPRING turkey season. Thanks
Old 04-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Snow ?!?!?!?

I guy I hunt with shot his first tom in the snow the day after a blizzard. It came into his calling. Dont recall about any gobbling. Looks like all this crap snow will be gone by the weekend though!I take it your hunting the first season or that you got a bow tag... which I suppose I should get... I plan on taking a youth out on saturday/sunday and I will be willing to bet that most of the snow will be gone and wont have much of an effect on the birds. Good Luck this season zubba. BR
Old 04-12-2007, 03:14 PM

Depending on how far north you are the are bunched up yet in large flocks.
People are spotting 30-100 birds at a timenear Iola in Central WI. But that is the exception that area has the highest turkey population in the state. Just see how many kill tags are issued each week.

I am scouting inMN this weekend, called ahead an not much snow 2"max & melting fast...
Zone 348 this year a archery only WMA around 300 acres, no gun hunters for once. Nothin' against you guys, but I have to stay in one/two spots max. It's not easy with a double bull, chair, ect...

You guy cans run & gun, move & be aggressive, bump a bird or two...
I hunt public land & I have had my decoy spread stalked on more than one occasion. My Double Bulls blend in to well, sometimes I set up in the middle of fields for visibility, from hunters as well as birds!

Old 04-12-2007, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I take it your hunting the first season or that you got a bow tag...
Right on. I have a bow tag, so I'm hunting all four seasons in Iowa with my bow....forth season with my shotgun. I also drew a Wisconsin tag, so I'll be heading up there for forth season. Can't wait.....just gotta get rid of the snow.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah I have taken Tom's in the snow before,They might not be as vocal,,So watch for a silent Tom coming in.
We have snow on the ground up here in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan also.
Yes it is depressing,But it will melt eventually.
I wish you luck
Old 04-12-2007, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

My last tom i shot it was snowing out and they acted normal. Strutted, gobbled, and reacted to my calls just like normal conditions.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:32 AM
Fork Horn

It was snowing in TN - second week of the season? Flakes - never hunted in those kind of conditions - I've been going down there for at least 10 years!!