Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Advice Sought - Calls

Old 04-06-2007, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default Advice Sought - Calls

I want to get "The Freak" call but would like some advice before purchasing. What are the advantages (& disadvantages) of the different surfaces; Frictionite vs Crystal? Do they sound the same or different (my guess)? Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Advice Sought - Calls

Different surfaces tend to have very different sounds from one another just as the different strikers sound different on the same call. Some strikers will work better on certain surfaces than other you will just have to try out different combos. As far as pros/cons my glass call can work when wet (tested this unwillingly) some surfaces seem to me to be easier to get a sound out of. Some sporting goods stores will let you take the call out of the package to test them or may even have one specifically for testing, of course you may want to ask before tearing into them... I personally love slate type calls as they are fairly easy to use and can produce a wide variety of sounds and calls. I have figured I can make the sounds of 30+ turkeys with all my slates and strikers. Hope this helps you out!
Old 04-07-2007, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BuckRogers

Different surfaces tend to have very different sounds from one another just as the different strikers sound different on the same call. Some strikers will work better on certain surfaces than other you will just have to try out different combos. As far as pros/cons my glass call can work when wet (tested this unwillingly) some surfaces seem to me to be easier to get a sound out of. Some sporting goods stores will let you take the call out of the package to test them or may even have one specifically for testing, of course you may want to ask before tearing into them... I personally love slate type calls as they are fairly easy to use and can produce a wide variety of sounds and calls. I have figured I can make the sounds of 30+ turkeys with all my slates and strikers. Hope this helps you out!
Thanks for your detailed reply Buck. FWIW I've hada Lynch "Jet Slate" for the last 30 years that produces real sweet sounds. (Only problem is it won't work when wet.) I've also been thinking of a glass or aluminum call for use in wet conditions. Any suggesstions?
Old 04-07-2007, 11:02 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: BuckRogers

Some strikers will work better on certain surfaces than other you will just have to try out different combos.
An old turkey hunter from NC introduced me to some of his Home Made strikers made from Dog Wood used on slate. That old man made that slate sing!
Old 04-07-2007, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

primos makes a box call that sounds great and works when wet.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:26 PM

I have tried MANY different turkey calls but the best slate call I've found to date is called Double Talk made by Mountain Hollow calls of Parishville,NY. This call is glass on one side with a recessed slate on the other and their is alot of different sounds you can make with it and in wet conditions the slate still works reasonably well. If your looking to carry alot of versatility in your sound try this one.Oh and the price is excellent in relation to its quality. Happy Hunting!
Old 04-07-2007, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

I use a tube call, wingbone, and mouth call when I hunt in the rain. I am coming up with a completely waterproof call made out of material that wont warp. You will be able to drop the call in a creek, pick it up, and play it....just got to find time to make some more!!
Good luck to all the hunters this spring!

hunt safe,
Willie
Old 04-08-2007, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the Frictionite surface on the freak with a soft striker like purple heart, or one of Primos' soft laminates. Sounds pretty good.