Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Minnesota Guys:  gun shop advice sought! >

Minnesota Guys: gun shop advice sought!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Minnesota Guys: gun shop advice sought!

Old 10-13-2004, 06:05 PM

Default Minnesota Guys: gun shop advice sought!

Long story short (see below): I don't live in Minnesotya, but would like to buy a gun in the Twin Cities area in a couple of weeks.

I'm looking for some recommendations as to reputable gun shops with a decent stock of good used guns. - preferably Minneapolis or suburbs, but St. Paul or anywhere within an hour of, say downtown, would be OK.

I'll be looking for a Marlin, or possibly a Winchester 30-30 lever action, and would really prefer to buy a nice used one rather than new, but won't have time to shop the private party market. If I get some recommendations, I'll probably make a few phone calls, maybe even try to nail one down before I go there (thus the need for a reputable shop, one I can feel comfortable with over the phone).

Also, I haven't bought a gun in about 15 years! What the HECK is involved in buying a gun these days? Are there any additional regs/requirements in Minnesota? Is it possible to actually buy a gun and carry it home the same day?

Thanks in advance! (the reason why to follow)

I've traveled to MN a few times in the past decade to hunt whitetail with my brother and some old friends. As I can afford it, I'm doing it more and more and pretty much will probably do it nearly every year for a while.

Until the past couple of years, the airlines let my gun (or skiis or golf clubs, or fishing rods) go as a third checked bag without any fee. Last year they not only reduced the weight of checked bag to 50 lbs, making it harder to stick with two when bringing home meat, but now without fail, charge extra for the third bag even if it's sporting equipment. Since I carry a bag of warm gear and a one to two coolers of meat, I get charged on every flight. Last year it cost $100 just for the gun, all told, becauses I had a couple of lay overs on the way there, and every time checked in I got charged the extra bag fee.

I figure I can afford to buy a gun (which I wanted to anyway) to leave at my friends' house. Assuming it's a basic, modest, used gun, will pay for itself within a couple/three years. Also, I've always wanted to hunt this land with a simple lever 30-30 (thick woods, short shots) and so this is the excuse to buy it.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:32 PM

Default RE: Minnesota Guys: gun shop advice sought!

Suggest that you drive about 40 minutes south of the Twin Cities on 35W and stop at Cabela's. If you've never been to a Cabela's, you're in for a real treat.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:17 PM

Default RE: Minnesota Guys: gun shop advice sought!

Thanks for the Cabela's suggestion. I hadn't thought of them for used guns. I'll give them a call and see if it's worth a trip down there. Actually, about 3 or 4 years ago, we drove down there and I felt lucky to get out spending only $100 or so! And that was in the Bargain Cave. Fun place but dangerous to visit.

Any other favorite Twin Cities gun shops?