Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Team 4 "Thunder Chickens" >

Team 4 "Thunder Chickens"

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Team 4 "Thunder Chickens"

Old 04-18-2007, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Team 4 Check in.

We had issues with henned up birds last year. It seems like every year we have to deal with it no matter what season tags we get. You guys have any suggestions or tips in dealing with it? We finally go lucky and found a lonely tom last year on the last morning, but before that it was tons of gobbling until sun up, then they would pitch down and shut up.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

/Users/kristiecorley/Desktop/pics t/IM001839.jpg/Users/kristiecorley/Desktop/pics t/IM001832_2.jpg
Old 04-18-2007, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

titleist...try focusing on calling at the hens. Do you have any decoys? set up a single hen decoy in an opening and call at the hens. If you can convince them to come over and join your decoy, the gobblers will be close behind. Most all of my mature gobbelers that I have shot have been used with the tactic of putting a decoy out, and call at the hens....the gobbler will follow. That's how I got my two in one shot this year. It will also help to know where they are going when they fly down and their normal patterns. If you can setup along that path they like to travel with a decoy, you should be golden. Best of luck!
Old 04-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of the toms we were able to call in last year was with three hens. We were usually 3 hen decoys at the time. Only day we really had much luck while they were henned up. I'll try the lone hen this weekend.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

I agree the lone hen tactic work's great for bringing them in.
Another tactic is a hen with a jake breeding it,If you know the flock will be in that area,Alot of times the dominate Tom will come over to kick the jakes hind end.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

That happened to us on the first day of youth season they gobbled like crazy before they got off the roost and then they just shut up, we called a little and we were in a field that we knew they would come to or could see from a couple of other fields and we gave the B-mobel decoy (BOB) a try and he has brought the toms right in. They have seen BOB and want to check him out, they have ran right to him. We have taken 3 birds so far with BOB and few hens, one was a 30 pounder the head on that bird was huge!!! I wish I could get my pics up but for some reason it wont let me.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: titleist_03

One of the toms we were able to call in last year was with three hens. We were usually 3 hen decoys at the time. Only day we really had much luck while they were henned up. I'll try the lone hen this weekend.
titleist_03 ... I have used multiple hens as well as the lone hen and had luck both ways. My biggest bird I have gotten was with multiple decoy hens and the gobbler had five or six real hens around him. Early on in the season I like to use just one and when it gets furthur into the season I will start to use multiple decoys. I have found that is what works best in my area. What may work good for me may not work as good for you...so it is just something that you will have to try out.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

Well guys my season started this morning and me and my B-Mobile decoy BOB they call him tagged out at about 6:15 this morning. What a blast I am still pumped!!! It all happened so fast, I just wish it would have lasted a little longer but it was my turn up to bat and I hit a home run. I have a great story and some pics I will try to get them in soon. I am still in AHHHHHHHH. BOB my decoy realy got a beaten!! O WHAT FUN!!!
Old 04-20-2007, 09:59 AM

Congrats!!!!!!!!
Old 04-20-2007, 03:13 PM

Tommorow's the day. Saw a pretty big one last night.

Quick Reply: Team 4 "Thunder Chickens"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.