Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

trophy turkey

Old 01-15-2002, 02:26 PM

Default trophy turkey

What is the best way to take care of a turkey in the field if you are going to have a mount made of it? Haven`t had the need to do it yet, just want to know what to do when/if it does happen.
Old 01-15-2002, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: trophy turkey

Feather damage is the main consern. Hold down your bird untill it exspires , then wrap it in something to hold it snug so it will not move. Do not cram it into your vest and break feathers.Freeze the bird asap. Most Taxidermy's can fixup the birds , but helping them, works in the end resault. I have a Rio that I killed in TX done,brought it back wrapped in a cooler and Boy it looks good hanging over the Wagon Wheel. Taking care goes a long way in the looks of bird when it is finished...BT
Old 01-15-2002, 04:09 PM

I always carry a pair of womens pantyhose,and a small wad of paper towles.Try not to ruffle any of the feathers,once you bag the bird.Wipe off any blood or any other body fluids that may be on the body. Strech a pair of panty hose over the body working from the head down,till the bird is sacked.I also take a small wad of paper towel,and place it in the birds throat,to keep any fluid from coming out in transit.
Old 01-15-2002, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

To add to what BT said,Wipe off as much blood as you can and make sure all the feathers are layin the right way before you wrap it.