Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 anybody hunt turkey from a blind >

anybody hunt turkey from a blind

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

anybody hunt turkey from a blind

Old 03-12-2007, 05:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: anybody hunt turkey from a blind

Bigdaddy12t;

Setting up your blind depends on your situation, and depends on where your turkeys are going throughout the morning and day. If they are coming into fields set blind up on the edge and have your decoys set up in the field about 15 yards away. If you have to move after the turkeys just leave the blind behind and hunt by a tree or set up different the next day.
Sometimes you need to be out in the field/woods to get the turkeys figured out, and then sometimes you can't.

Knowing where your turkeys are roosting and where they are going after they fly down from the tree is going to help you out alot.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:22 AM
Typical Buck

remember stealth too. Don't walk into a roost areaand start making a lot of noise setting up a blind at a feild edge. Also if you have to break a bunch of branches in the timber to get it into place it probably tells you sittng down against a tree is better. I think set up wise you're looking at 2 things: open areas, expected long sits in one place.

I guess I add weather to that. Regardless of where I might be going if it's raining it keeps me focused and out longer if I have my blind. I just make sure to be as stealthy as I can getting set up. There's a lot more to that with a big blind and a chair.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:57 PM

I've huntedout of a blind,I've hunted from the ground,even shot at 'em from a stand once(the key words are Shot At).I kept hittin the top of the bow on the roof and I kinda enjoyed shootin AT the birds from the stand.But I'll say this,I hope to never go into the woods without my decoys!(changed my life)
Old 03-14-2007, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with everyone whos been saying that turkeys somehow arent bothered by blinds. I was deerhunting one year and 2 hens walked about 3 feet in front of me. Ive also heard of someone using one and a turkey walked inside. Good thing about them is you have basically 360 degrees shooting since they wont see you. Only hard part is unzipping the window/door without them seeing to put your gun out.

Heres a story on a tom i shot about 3 or 4 years ago using a blind.....

I had no luck all day and was just starting to pack up when I heard footsteps coming closer and closer. So I sat back down and kept listening.It was 2 nice toms walking in. Nogobbles or anything.They got so close that I could see them through the blind. I unzipped a windown VVVEEERRRYYY slowly to notice one of the toms about 7 yards away. I knew that I had no chance of actually unzipping the window and grabbing my gun and aim and shoot, obviously the tom would have ran off. So I figured the only way possible was to barely put the barrel on part of the window and pull it down to make it unzip (the wrong way to unzip something) and then shoot. It worked. I pulled the hammer down, ripped the window down, aimed and shot....all within about 2second. Turkey went down 7 yards away.

They work good, believe me. Also, you can keep things in it overnight....decoys, calls, food..etc.