Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Bearded Hen

Old 02-14-2007, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bearded Hen

It's the same in MD & VA, bearded turks only in the spring, which would allow a bearded hen to be taken. While I have no problem with shooting a (young) hen in the fall (VA) season, it would rub me wrong to take a bearded hen in the spring, a matter of personal choice...
-fsh
Old 02-14-2007, 09:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Its legal in Indiana as long as it has a beard, I know because i have been there. checked this one in with no problems. 7 1/4" beard

Old 02-15-2007, 04:15 PM

ame as in Fla. it says gobbler or bearded birds.

my wife took a bearded hen with her bow this year.when I got to her, I ask what in the world was she doing shooting a hen, she said it has a beard.it was 6 1/2" beard.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:25 AM

Hey, I actually shot a bearded hen that's beard was 8 inches plus, here's a picture she's on the left, I will have more pictures but I have to find em first. It was too dark to distinguish it was a hen, and it is legal in New York. I shot after it came from the brush and into the meadow to my decoying and calls. I dont think it responded to my calls so much unless she was the boss hen. I saw the long beard on it and figured that was where the gobbling came from I heard. I found an egg inside when I dressed her out, Boy was I surprised. But luckily my grampa killed a nice tom, as you will see me holding it up too.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive seen several bearded hens in Iowa where they are legal game, but only when I was driving around. I asked a DNR officer what he thought about it and he brought up an excellent point. Bearded hens need to be shot so they dont pass on that gene to other generations. Otherwise more and more hens would end up getting shot. So if a bearded hen comes into range for me you can guess what I'll do. Plus they probably are very tender and juicy
Old 03-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen three bearded hens at one time in a small flock. I even saw one that had a beard as big as any gobbler Ive ever see. It was very heavy and long. I have always passed them up because of the nesting factor. The only reason they are legal is because of the confusion it can cause. They aren't really very rare.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

legal as well to take in KS. in the spring!
Old 03-06-2007, 08:49 AM
Typical Buck

You better make sure it is legal first. Most states do not allow hens, bearded or not, to be shot.
I didn't think that was a true statement and it seems from the responses it is not. In Ont it is the same as most. "bearded turkey"

While the idea of not shooting hens makes sense I just apply a little probability to that. If it's less than 10% are bearded that means you will see quite a few hens in gun range before you have one with a beard. Chances are as well that a jake or tom will be at the end of your gun before this happens as well so on that rare occasion you might get the shot you aren't doing a whole lot to populations stats. Add to this as well that there are hunters who 100% choose not to shoot one and you taking one is even less of an impact.

Start factoring in percenatge of those bearded hens which would be non-brood hens and........Ah you get the point.

I don't think it is a big deal at all in the grand scheme of things so if you want the trophy, take her!

I have never had the chance but if I did I would want a standing hen mount under my full strut gobblin tom I'm getting done. After that I would want those big nasty spurs so I could pass on one.