Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Bearded Hen

Old 02-13-2007, 08:06 PM

Default RE: Bearded Hen

You can shoot anything with a beard in Indiana.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:14 PM

id pop it to her since its legal. just locate and pattern her and set up somewhere she feeds travles roosts. anything. just set up where she would be, and if you wanna try calling call to her as a hen not a gobbler. get loud and aggressive and mocl her if she calls back. throw out a few fighting purrs and see if she wont come in. just try any tactic you can think of to help you bag this bird. if it would be a trophy to you then dont worry what others would do in your shoes, kill thehen if you feel like it.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:17 PM

Bearded Hens are legal in Missouri also. They are pretty rare, and would be an awesome trophy, but i would just hunt like you usually do, maybe at that same spot you saw her in the fall. Good luck.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

First turkey I ever saw was a beared hen. I passed on her and shot a jake.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:26 PM
Typical Buck

its legal in mo.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its legal in PA and most other states. I personally would take one and this spring I awill try to. Be cool to take the slam of bearded hens.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's legal in IL. Must have a visible beard. Would make a heck of a trophy!
Old 02-14-2007, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

In Michigan you can only shoot one bearded bird in the spring season but in the fall season you can shoot one of ether sex.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:24 PM

ORIGINAL: RDHunter

In Michigan you can only shoot one bearded bird in the spring season but in the fall season you can shoot one of ether sex.
so technically you could shoot a bearded hen during the spring in Michigan? i know most people wouldnt simply because they wouldnt have a tag left for a gobbler.

i actually read in the Turkey Call magazine the other day (forgot which issue) that on average 10% of all hens are bearded. idk if this is for a certain area or not. It does seem a bit high because they seem to be pretty rare around here seeing as how ive seen hundreds and hundreds of hens and not one bearded hen.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TEmbry15

ORIGINAL: RDHunter

so technically you could shoot a bearded hen during the spring in Michigan? i know most people wouldnt simply because they wouldnt have a tag left for a gobbler.

i actually read in the Turkey Call magazine the other day (forgot which issue) that on average 10% of all hens are bearded. idk if this is for a certain area or not. It does seem a bit high because they seem to be pretty rare around here seeing as how ive seen hundreds and hundreds of hens and not one bearded hen.
Thats the way it is writen in the general rules of the spring hunting guide.
It clearly states " One bearded turkey per licensed hunter " it says nothing about the sex of the bearded bird.
The DNR of Michigan basicly leaves it up to thehunter to know the diffrence between a male and female bird.
Every turkey hunter I know can tell the diffrence just by looking at the color of there head and feathers.
Personaly I wouldn't shoot at a hen with or without a beard.

Quick Reply: Bearded Hen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.