Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Scouting....Before daylight? >

Scouting....Before daylight?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Scouting....Before daylight?

Old 02-09-2007, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scouting....Before daylight?

i try to put them to bed, through binoculars, but i'm locating them as soon as i can, sometimes its dark, sometimes it's not, i'll hoot, if i get an answer i know they are awake and i take it from there.......
Old 02-10-2007, 10:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

All great advice guys and I concur.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

i am one who goes in before daylight when scouting new spots. actually...first i find the areas theat have scratchings and then try to find their roost by finding the tale tale droppings. if you cant find the roost usually no big deal..ill then go in the general area on a nice morning and wait for the sun to go up. only call i have is a crow locator call. unless you got busted you will hear them gobbling naturally. try to pinpoint the location...then try to figure out where they went after they hit the ground. generally towards the scratchings but sometimes not..if they dont continue to naturally gobble once on the ground i use a locator call to shock gobble the birds every 15 minutes or half hour or so..dont wanna over do it. that helps me figure out what direction birds went.

i never ever call pre-season. too many guys do it here before the season and it will ruin turkey hunting. the birds come in and bust the guys..come in and find no hen etc..and sooner or later they wise up. it makes them call shy. sometimes they come in but will not gobble(err i hate silent gobblers) and sometimes they wont come in period. calling before the season is a No No if you ask me..other may disagree...but others dont have the pressure of PA either. guess theres alot more guys around here etc..

ive never had ANY luck "roosting" turkeys in the evenings. none at all. i can never figure out why..ive always done my work in the mornings..ocne you figure out the roost and where they most likely go after fly down you got a good setup..i like to setup between the roost and the destination point or at the destination point...or some days i'll feel froggy and just try to get as close to the roost as possible.

just get your friend as muccccccch info as possible about the turkeys down there but try your absolute hardest not to make any turkeys run, fly or alarm putt. take notes if needed...then when he arrives you guys will be set..coz im sure hes a great turkey hunter and will show ya a thing or 2.. good luck guys..cant wait to hear about this..