Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Scouting Question?

Old 10-08-2006, 07:19 AM

Default Scouting Question?

Hello all! I'm a relatively new turkey hunter and I'm planning my first fall hunt in late October. I've got a large flock (30+)on my land that includes the biggest tom I've ever layed eyes on. I've seen this flock all over the property and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to their whereabouts. I've seen them coming from the north and a large open fieldand the next day coming from the south and a completly wooded area. The property is large so I could spend a big chunk of time trying to locate the birds but I was wondering if anyone has any tips for finding the roost? I would appreciate any help.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scouting Question?

One of the best ways to locate a roost without walking all over your turkey woods and spooking everything in site is by using your ears.Early morning before flydown and late evening before fly-up position yourself somewhat hid but most importantly in a spot where you can listen for birds flying up or down from the roost and talking turkey talk.30 birds will make quite a racket leaving and flying into the roost from wingbeats to there own vocabulary they make alot of noise!Try to to possibly position yourself on a high ridge,prefferably above where they could possibly be.Avoid putting yourself next to running water,a roadside with traffic,or down in a bottom so thick you can t hear out of.It may take a few mornings but be patient and quiet,listening intently and you'll find them!...Bob
Old 10-08-2006, 09:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Bob gave you some good tips, but I try to locate them on the roost at dusk with a Hoot Call or Hawk Call. If there are any Turkeys on roost at 50 yds they will answer. The morning after before daybreak, Itry to be set up in the area close to where they answered.Duringthe day there will be feathers and droppings on the ground under a tree where they have been roosting. If you see this while walking in the woods, it's a good sign.

Like Bob mentioned, if you're in the area at the right time, you can hear the Fly Up and Fly down, but I like to locate them at dusk before daybreak.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

The gobble guy and the hog man are both right in a way , sure its a good idea to use a locator call before sunset that should tell you where there roosting.
In the early morning hours after sunrise , you can try to make them shock gobble and that should tell you how close you are to them.
When your scouting for them , try to do so mid day when there already out walking around and look for feeding areas and dusting bowles or staging areas.
Most of the time the birds will use the same area of trees to roost , the way they travel is like a huge circle they fly down and head for a water source and then feed.
When your in the woods look around the trees for droppings and feathers , thier dropping will look like cigar butts a dark green in color with a little white at the end .
Feeding areas will look like a large area of leaves that have beenmoved in small piles , you'll know it when you see it they'll scratchthe ground forfallen acorns and insects.
You might want to look in open fields and medows as well , they do like to keep moving but they will stop and rest for awhile .
I hope this information helps in some way and good luck to you.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would get out in the woods about an hour before the sun comes up and just sit and listen. You should be able to hear them gobble and fly down from their roost. Don't try to make your way over there that same morning because you don't want to take the chance of spooking them. Go back out the next morning and try to get within 50 yards of where you heard / seen them fly down. When you go out that first morning, bring some binoculars. I have had better luck locating in the morning than in the evening. The birds seem to just gobble a whole lot more in the morning around where I hunt.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:38 PM

I think I've located the general area where they are roosting at. They have a tendency to get real close to my house and the other day as I was coming home, the dog jumped out the window of my truck, ran into the middle of the flock andscattered it pretty good. Will this have any effect on them? Also, do they tend to roost in the same area for a while?

Also, thanks for all the help. You guys have given some good tips. Hopefully I'll have some picures of my Thanksgiving bird for you next weekend.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Normally gobblers and hens do not roost together in the fall. Hunting a gobbler in the fall is tough buisness, as they do not respond to calls very well and hardly ever gobble. Good luck.
The dog scattering the flock should have little effect as they will regroup. They may relocate their roost site if it was near dark.
They will generally roost close to the same area for a while depending on food and water.

Old 10-28-2006, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bobgobble2

One of the best ways to locate a roost without walking all over your turkey woods and spooking everything in site is by using your ears.Early morning before flydown and late evening before fly-up position yourself somewhat hid but most importantly in a spot where you can listen for birds flying up or down from the roost and talking turkey talk.30 birds will make quite a racket leaving and flying into the roost from wingbeats to there own vocabulary they make alot of noise!Try to to possibly position yourself on a high ridge,prefferably above where they could possibly be.Avoid putting yourself next to running water,a roadside with traffic,or down in a bottom so thick you can't hear out of. It may take a few mornings but be patient and quiet,listening intently and you'll find them!...Bob
I do what Bob does. I like to go and sit and just listen. If you know this property at all you know where the bigger trees are or trees that sit on the sides of any ravines a.k.a. hollers or trees that hanf over a creek. Get in proximityto these areas well before dark and find a comfortable place to sit and just use your ears. You can wait until right at dark and walk high areas and blow a locator call and see if you can get them to shock gobble but I like the sitting tactic better. I don't fall turkey hunt but I do deer hunt and I don't hear them gobblevery consistantlyduring the fall so I would think sitting and trying to hear them fly up would be more effective.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree w/the above. Put 'em to roost! Use the turkey's disadvantage which is they won't move during the night. Don't get too close to them in the morning though. Don't know if your land is flat or hilly but if it has any ridges or mountains to it then get above them. Turkeys always work their way uphill.

If you can't find them to put them to roost then the next day just keep moving and you'll find them. Once they get busted up then that greatly improves you chances of you being able to call them.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:35 PM
Fork Horn

what i would use in the morningwould be a owl hooter when a gobbler hears this he will gobble his head off if he is in hearing distance. another thing you can do is during the day in spring walk around with a crow call since turkeys hate crows he will gobble at this instinctivly when walking around look for turkey scratchings this means thatthey are raking back the leaves to look for food. also when walking look for turkey droppings the hen leaves a droppingin the shape of a A-SPIRAL and a gobble leaves a dropping in the shape of a Jor L. whll good luck this season