Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

scared turkey

Old 11-01-2006, 09:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default scared turkey

any of ya had a gobbler not cross a creek on ya

one morning i got to the tree i was sitting at before daylight. my spot is at the top of a small hill with a creek about 70 yards ahead. i started with some soft sleepy yelps to try and make the turkey think i was a hen just waking up, then i proceeded with the fly down cackle. after waiting about 30 minutes i let out with a series of loud agressive yelp when all of a sudden a turkey started goblbing his head off so i did it again then another answered when i finally saw them both one was walking from a old clear cut straight ahead of me and the other from my left(both across the creek)one of them must have weight 25 pounds with probably a 12 or 13 inch beard. i tought they would fight when they meet but they didn't instead they just kept walking away to my left still gobbling there heads off. when they got out of sight hurried to ambush them about 100 yards down but they would never cross the creek and couldn;t get closer with out scaring them. they just kept on walking. about 30 minutes later i could still hear them gobbling about 300 yards off but that was private land that way. when i was heading back to the truck i heard 2 guns shots come from the direction that i had heard them last (hopefully someone didn't get those birds but they probably did. if they would have just crossed the creek i would have had me two stuffers. do yall think if i would have had some decoys they would have crossed the creek
Old 11-02-2006, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: scared turkey

Yea
Decoys would have help , they need to see what was making the yelps .
If they had seen the decoy they would have flowen over the creek to get closer.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: scared turkey

In that situation, decoys probably would have helped. If they saw the decoys, they probably would have flown over. Don't use decoys in every situation. I have had several times a gobbler that was gobbling like crazy come around the corner of a tree line in a wheat field that is about 150 yards from me. When he saw those decoys, they all would come running (literally), but stop and go into a full strut about 60 yards out or so. It is very hard to get them to come in those few extra yards to get a good clean shot. Decoys draw them in, but a lot of the time the bird will stop just out of range. It is like the now something is not right and wait to see if the decoys are going to move before coming in any further.