Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 scouting question >

scouting question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

scouting question

Old 07-10-2008, 11:04 AM

Default scouting question

What time of day is the best to go? I will be going tonight and was wondering if I should find a good spot and sit for a while into the dusk hours to see if anything shows up. What is everyones thoughts?
Old 07-10-2008, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: scouting question

Your plan sounds good to me. Bring your map and mark the spots where you see deer or deer sign, you might get onto a pattern.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you are going spotting and if that is the case the only thing I would recommend is to keep your distance, spot from afar if you can. Field edges, power line right of ways, logging roads/trails, etc. I wouldn't set up right on top of where you expect deer,no sense in educating them right now or ever for that matter.

During the spring/summerwhen I scout in the woods or hang standsI usually wait til it is raining or windy or both and then I will sneak around a bit and get done what I need to as quickly as possible. January / February is a good time to get up in the woods, right after the season ends.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love to go in the evenings and sit and glass fields, just seeing what is showing up, where they are going and how they are getting there. A good spotting scope and a cold beer makes for a great time. If I am wanting to walk a piece of ground, I normally get out about mid morning, no specific reason, that is just about the time I get done with everything I need to and get out.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:35 PM

I am going to hit the field about 5 tonight and hope to be in and out quickly. I might find a location and glass later. It should be good for some mental health time.