Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Pretty Boy Decoys

Old 08-30-2006, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Pretty Boy Decoys

Any of you ever used this full strut decoy? Iv seen it on TV and man do those turkeys get pissed at that decoy! i was just wondering if anyone else has seen or had those expiences like the guys tryin to sell it on TV

Jake
Old 08-30-2006, 10:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Pretty Boy Decoys

I have a few turkey decoys and I had seen alot of diffrent reactions to them.
I have learned that some decoys will work at diffrent stages of the season , take your pretty boy full strut decoy.
If you put that decoy with a couple of hen decoys at the begining of the season , an old boss tom will come rushing in to fight with that full stut decoy but if you use the same set - up in mid to late season most suborant toms will shy away from it.
My decoys are a bobble head jake and a bobble head hen , a full strut bubba jake , a pretyy boy full strut jake and a couple of feather felx hens.
I hope this info helps answer your question ,if not well I geuss I did all this typing for nothing.
Have a good , safe hunting season and may God Bless you and your family.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

I have not but have known some who have made a homeade version of this and have had deadly results! I guess when the gobs do come in they just dont get a little pi$$ed they get REALLY pi&&ed!!!!!
Old 09-04-2006, 05:36 PM

My dad, brother and me use hard shell hen decoys. There a little troublesome to carry but they dont get ripped in half when they get attacked.

I also have a half strut jake. Let me tell ya that decoy sucks. I have literally scared mature birds off with it. I came real close to shooting the darn thing one day when it spooked a 10 incher off. I finally quit using that half struct decoy about the third time I saw birds notice it and walk away.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:53 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I did some experimentin' with my own as I was not going to pay that much for a decoy!

Well I had great success and as others said - it is the during a certain time of the mating season they work best.

I used a Carrylite Jake Decoy and folded his rubber tail up and into his body. I then used a real fan I had laying around to which I added a wood bracket to hold it with a metal stake to make it stay put at the back of my rubber Jake - called Bruce! ;D

Now I do beleive it is a great visula que! To test my theory I am going to use a Jake fan rather than a Tom fan. Remeber now a true Jake has thir 4 center tail feathers longer than the rest of the fan. Visual que at its finest!

So I will test that this next spring.

Oh I did use more Gobble calls than hen calls.......I was 2 for 3 attempts.

The rubber Jake was easy to fold-up and carry - the fan was easy to also carry using the wooden bracket.

I'll psot some pictures soon.

JW