Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 "Pretty Boy and Pretty Girl" decoys assessment >

"Pretty Boy and Pretty Girl" decoys assessment

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

"Pretty Boy and Pretty Girl" decoys assessment

Old 04-10-2006, 12:56 PM

Default "Pretty Boy and Pretty Girl" decoys assessment

I plunked down a wad ofmoney (about $100--fortunately, I had a gift certificate to pay for this toy) and got the Pretty Boy and Pretty Girl decoy pair that Knight and Hale are promoting this year. I took an old board-mounted fan off the wall inmy family room and used that for the fan to insert into the tail slot on the Pretty Boy decoy. (I kept the tails from this year's birds for next year's tails, so I can redecorate the family room.)

We used it on Saturday, April 8th, see other posts/pics on this website from me as to our opening day success.

This is my assessment of its effectiveness.

To begin, I talked with other hunters about when the best time of year would be to use a full strut tom as a decoy and they agreed that early season (i.e., now, early April)and late season (i.e., end of May) would be the "best" times to use a full strut tom decoy. Early because dominance might not yet be established within the flock andlate because gobblers are regathering into gobbler flocks for the summer.

What I saw with my setup was reluctance by some birds to "go after" Pretty Boy, but that otherswaltzed right in on the setup. As I reported, initially five jakes marched right in. But later, two toms, including a nice spittin' and drummin' tom, with hens, wouldn't come in and, in fact, appeared to try to pull the hens away. Four two year olds were going to come in, but slicked down and turned away because a three year old came into the decoy setup from the other way (a nice problem to have!!). The three year old apparently came in directly, but he hadn't gotten into a fight with Pretty Boy before I whacked him. A single jake also came right towards the decoy, too.

My conclusion is that it is another effective tool, though not a "100 % guaranteed successful" device. I'm glad I've added it to my gear, and I willuse it again next year.

snowdog2
Old 04-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "Pretty Boy and Pretty Girl" decoys assessment

Thanks for the update on those decoys. I wondered how they worked. I could see having the same setup with Buckwing decoys and a little modifcations...BT
Old 04-10-2006, 03:53 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Is an unique idea....but I ain't payin' that amount for a couple of decoys!

So I did the next best thing.

I have a collaspable carry lite jake and hen and I took the jake....folded the tail under into the body opening....and then made a bracket for a real turkey fan....

Did it work?

Oh you betcha as I shto a very nice Tom today....yes I had 2 lives hnes in with my other two hen decoys but he was so totally focused on my fake tom decoy....
Long story short...My 35th bird...my 1st double bearded bird!

JW
Old 04-10-2006, 05:31 PM
Typical Buck

im cheap i went for the $20 flambeau breeding pair at gander mountain. Spending more on a decoy than i did on all of my other gear combined seems a little bit crazy. but if i had the cash i would buy them for sure, they look so pretty together.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats JW ! what a way to start the season ....BT
Old 04-18-2006, 09:44 AM
JW
Super Moderator

the second time around using this set-up I had a 4 year old bird that was not so dominant....but I got him anyway even though he did not come marching right in!

But soon I will add a Jake fan and will see if the visual que of the four center tail feathers being taller than the rest of the fan has any aeefect on mature mbirds.

My hypothesis -
It will make a difference.....and I have most hunts on video!

Oh - I shot my second bird 35 some paces out - was a 24.5 lb 4 yr old based on the spurs.....and NO BREEDING Calous! - In fact he had all his breast featerhs in place so it is early yet in upper Mich!

JW
Old 04-18-2006, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

JW , does this bird look anywhere close to your decoy ?

Old 04-18-2006, 02:43 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Adrain - I'll post my set-up pictures tonight!

Seems my work blocks pictures from coming up! As I think that is what you are asking!

I will show you and help others on how I have done this.......

Now because I am using a good real struttin' Tom turkey I am oh so careful! I don't want to be shot or shot at!!

So I have placed Bruce and then my full boided laying hen no more than 6 to 9 paces directly in front of my blind. The blind is NOT brushed in and stands out like a sore thumb! Blind also blocks anyone who is sneaking from behind me if that should happen. Also the reason the Tom is placed in front.

I then have bought a bobble head to which I like and place that to my left as I am a right hand shooter. Now hens face me on an angle or right at meso if a Tom does decide to mount I can get head on or a good head angle shot. Toms are either slightly facing away or directly away so I can get that Tom as I have seen them come beak to beak!

But my pictures of my past two set-ups will help describe what I do.

I do think as I said a Jake fan is a better visual que that a mature fan to which I use now!

I will also show how I mounted this tail fan as it is sop easy to do!

JW
Old 04-18-2006, 05:48 PM
JW
Super Moderator

here are a few pics of my home made set-up

simple set-up

Old 04-18-2006, 05:50 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Adrian that is close to what I have and I do like your Tom!

However I use a full bodied hen I lay right on the ground and in my mind I think it has a better effect. I do however place a hen like you oictured off to one side.....

Now to see what this set-up will do late season Wisc....so stay tuned!

JW

Quick Reply: "Pretty Boy and Pretty Girl" decoys assessment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.