Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey calls

Old 07-23-2006, 08:10 PM

Default Turkey calls

hello..iv posted this question somewhere else but couldn't find it anymore..sorry i have to post it again
this is about calling turkeys in fall, what calls are effective during fall?i know they're a bit different during spring..thanks for any info.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Turkey calls

Kee kee's and yelps for the fall , thats what i was told .
I'll be trying that out this fall season with any luck I might get one.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:35 AM

thanks RDHunter..il check those..
another thing im really curious about is during fall, you should scatter a flock right?then try to call them and from their you can choose what to shoot (correct me if im wrong with this). How will you scatter a flock?
Old 07-26-2006, 02:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you can sneak up close to a flock without spooking then half of the battle is done.
Most fall turkey hunters beleave that in order to bust them yo gotta just run right in the middle of them yelling and making all kinds of loud noise.
I myself once I get close enough will throw something like firecracker or an M-80 ( just kidding) no I'll runat them too it does seem to work well.
Once they have scattered try to set up right where you busted them some where among the brush and wait awhile then start callingwith the yelps and the kee kee's.
It would help if you have hen or jake decoy for that little extra touch of realisem.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:29 AM

Thanks!
would you recommend to fire a shot to scatter them?
Old 07-28-2006, 04:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

No I don't think it would be a safe thing to do besides there might be another hunter around.
I was just kidding about the M - 80, thats something crocadlie dundee would do but not me.
I use a bow to take my bird.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:06 PM

oh wow, i really like bowhunters. I'm fascinated at how they (you) can hit the turkey right into its head
another thing in my mind is why should we bust the flock?can't we just shoot any of the turkey on the flock?
Old 08-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you are using a shotgun I geuss it really doesn't matter if you bust the flock, its up to you.
When shooting turkeys with a bow it would becuase you might hit another bird then if you get caught by the D N R with more than your limt your in big trouble.
That should apply to shotgun hunters as well, so it would be better to bust the flock.
Shotgun hunters aim for the head, bow hunters aim for the wing at broadside, just below the beard in front of you and in the a$$ if the bird is facing away from you.
Very few archers can take the head off a bird with an arrow.