Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

turkey calls?

Old 01-23-2007, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default turkey calls?

What's a good turkey call for a beginner? Box, mouth or friction calls? What about a electronic call ? What's your experiences with any of the above calls? I know I ask too much "stupid" questions, this is my first year and I don't really know what to buy? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks ahead.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: turkey calls?

The box call is the easiest, then the friction, then the mouth. As for electronics, that is probably illegal in most states. I would never even think about using one anyway. You need to learn to use all three types of calls though.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:31 AM
Typical Buck

Check your State Laws on the electronic call.
Any call will call a bird. Many people use a push-button call, this is very simple, and easily makes clucks, yelps, and purrs. Box calls are easy to run too, but making a purr is somewhat challenging. More birds have fallen to box calls than prolly any other call, ever. A friction call, with very little practice you will be able to make every sound of the wild turkey hen vocabulary. A mouth call, while easily the most versatile, is somewhat challenging for people to use, but with some practice, it too can help you harvest birds. Buy some different calls, and practice, practice, practice!!
Good luck!
Old 01-23-2007, 01:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

ICALL2MUCH nailed it really good , I would take his advice.
You might want to check out the National Wild Turkey Federation's web site at ( www.nwtf.com ) you'll see their home page and on the left hand side there's a little menu.
Look for the word ( for hunters ) and click on that then click on the word ( calling tips ) on that page you'll be able to pick a call and listen to what it sounds like.
As for push pin & box calls , Quaker Boy makes some good one like the Hurricane and the Cyclone there both waterproof and no chalking needed.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:46 PM

i would deffinitly go with a box call