Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Need some advice

Old 07-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Need some advice

HI everyone, im new over here on the turkey sight, I am usually hanging out on the off season board, and the bow hunting board. I am thinking of giving turkey hunting a shot, I see a ton of them around all of the time where I hunt and it has given me the bug. The one question I have, is I have never had to clean a bird of any kind, can someone point me in the right direction, or help me out? Any other pointers would be appreciated too. I am thinking about using my bow and trying my Ameristep ground blind that I have. I have been an avid deer hunter for the last 20 years, with the last 10 of that being mostly bow, so I do have some time in the woods, just not much with birds.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need some advice

well good luck to ya.......not getting to see the dance and hear that gobble that happens in the spring is something you'll look forward to for the rest of your life, lol......though i have heard them during gun season gobblin, but anyway, i'm getting sidetracked, lol.....
you candip itin boiling waterand pluck it, cut the neck off and pull the insides out.... or breast it out, use the legs and other meaty pieces though, makes awesome soup.

copied this from a post from tnicols:
Now it is very important not to leave him in the water to long(Max 3 minutes). Turn the bird head down while holding his feet and imerse him head first into the bucket of water( make sure you tuck his wings in to get him into the bucket). Now you want to get him all the way in up to his butt. Hold him under the water for about 20 seconds and the start moving him up and down for the next minute. this get the water going thru his feathers. Now push him all the way in and fold his legs all the way in to were the feather end on his legs and hold it there for 20 seconds. Pull him out and let him drain and hang him by his feet on the rope. Put the slip knot above his spurs so the knot can catch hold and hold the turkey in place. Place a trash can with a trash bag otr bucket directly under were the bird is hanging.

Now it time to pick and grin! Start with the wings first and then move to the rest of the body. The feathers should pull off very easily. The nice thing about dipping the birds is that the hot water usually kills the ticks. Once the bird is totaly cleaned it is time to take his head off. Cut it off at the base of the neck and I find it best to use a bone saw that I use for deer. Now blood will drain out of the neck area so you want to make sure you have the trash can in place to catch it. Next spread the birds leg and now it is time to gut the bird. It is imperative you have a sharp knive. If you have not already taken the tail off do it now. Next take the knife and trim the skin between his breast and legs this frees up the breast from the legs and makes accessing the cavity easier. I enter the abdomen cavity close to the ahole so you want to penetrate the abdomen as carefully as possible. Once you are inside you want start trimming around his butt so you can get a hold of the intestine and get it free from the abdomen. Do not cut the intestine, your goal here is to get the intestine free and place it outside the cavity. Once this is done it time to get the inners out pull the intestines out and put them in a trash bag or bucket. You should not have to use the knife anymore during this process. Once the intestines, liver, nads, and gizzard are out you need to get the heart out. Finally you go after the lungs. Now the lungs will be right next to the ribcage so you have to get your hands between the lungs and the ribcage to get them out. Next is the windpipe which comes out easy because the head is is gone, just pull it out. Your now done with the cavity.

Next we move to the removal of the craw. This is the hardest part for me. Get the knife and trim the skin at the top of the breast. Basically thank of it as giving the bird a henley shirt. take the knife between the skin and the fat and cut it straight down about 2 inches. This done so you can get your hands between the skin and the craw and pull it out . Work your way up the birds breast and start pulling the craw out. It almost looks like a balloon with air in it. Go slowly because you don't want to peterate the craw. Because gobblers have so much fat on them in the spring, this is a pain! Keep pulling until the whole craw comes out. If it does break it is imperative you get the whole craw out. After your done it is time to get the legs off. Peels the dark skin back toward the feet to expose the knee joints, take the knife and cut the tendons on the side of the knee and bend the feet legs the opposite direction and the knee joint will separate. If you have any trouble just use your knife until you have the legs free from the knee joint. Next move to the next leg, have a partner hold the bird for you on the last leg because the bird is coming down after the leg is removed. Your now finished cleaning the bird! Now it time for cleanup!. Fill the sink with cold water and place the bird in the sink. you want to remove any leftover feathers and clean any blood that is left on the carcass. open the abdomen and flush with water. Make sure you remove anything you might have missed! Wash the with you hands. Now I usualy let the bird soak for a while but that's you option. Once the bird is finished i wrap it in freezer paper real well. I then insert the bird into small white kitchen trash bags(at least 2) and tape up the bags securely around the bird removing all air. Finally I get a black magic marker and put the date and year of the kill. This let's you know how long they have been in the freezer.

Old 07-10-2006, 08:31 PM
Typical Buck

once you get out in the spring you are going to be addicted
Old 07-10-2006, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Oh turkey hunting is something you will just love. It is harder than deer hunting. Some may say different. I breast out my birds. It usually takes me 10 minutes tops. You can look back thru the posts and find a ton of useful information on turkey hunting. Just give me a yell if ya have any questions and I'll be glad to answer what I can. Welome to the wonderful world of turkey hunting. Next spring when your out on opening day your whole hunting life just changed... ENJOY
Old 07-10-2006, 09:18 PM
Fork Horn

If you just want to breast and get the legs, Hang it up by the head and feel for the bone on chest and cut the skin. Peel the skin away from meat then when you cut follow the bone. To get the legs out pull the legs out of the skin and use cutters to cut leg bone off as high as you can.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome to the Turkey Forum BigDaddy
Your really gonna enjoy hunting for the gobblers even in fall if your state has one ( most of them do ) its just a little diffrent than the spring hunt.
When it comes to cleaning, Huntma is right that you gotta dunk your bird in HOT ( real hot ) waterI use a little dish soap in it too makes real easy to pluck the feathers off.
Cut the head off at the base of neck ( close to the breast ) and get all the guts out some times its easyer to go in from the back end just make a cut from the tail to the ribcage.
Then rinse it off real good and its ready for frying or baking, theres alot of ways to cook your bird.
IfI was you I would get book on cleaning and cooking wild game birds, theres plenty of them out there.
Goodluck and you need more advice on how to hunt these birds in the fall as well as the spring just keep posting your questions here or in the camp cooking forum on this site.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

breast them out.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:01 PM

I am thinking about using my bow and trying my Ameristep ground blind that I have.
I had no idea u can even use a bow for turkey hunting...ive been hunting turkeys for a few years and i havent even heard of people doing that