Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Brothers First Bird.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:40 PM

Default Brothers First Bird.

My brother finally got his first bird this year. After 2 hard years of hunting he finally got one. The first year we took him he realy didn't know what to think about turkey hunting, But when we got five strutting jakes just ten yards in front of him he was breathing so hard you could hear it plain as day on my camcorder. He got his little 410. in position to shoot and BOOM,BOOM,BOOM--MISS,MISS,MISS. Those dum birds just stood there and gobbled every time he fired then gradually walked off. He had the biggest case of turkey fever i had ever seen and even though he didn't get a bird, He was hooked on turkey hunting for life.

By the second year he was more than ready for the season to start. We moved him up to a 20Ga. and he shot it quite a bit overthe off season, So that he'd know what to do when the time came. Opening morning we took him to a spot where we knew there were big birds in the area. We got setup in the blind just at first light and gobbles were sounding off in every direction. A 1/2 hour later he looks at me said,'' Ive GOT to GO''.
It was perty obvious that nature called, So i sent himoff and told him to hurry because i knew that the birds would be coming soon. AND IT NEVER FAILS, As soon as he got out of sight the birds showed up over the hill and were headed for the field FAST. The birds were about 80 yards away when i looked down the tree line and seen him come crawling as fast as he could to try and get in the blind and of course the birds saw him and took off running back up the hill. I quickly got him back in the blind. Both ofus thought the hunt was ruined, But when i looked up on the hill the turkeys were just standing there. They obviously didn't know quite what happend, So i decided we would wait them out and see what happend. 2 Hours later the birds finally came back down off that hill and started moving closer. Then out of know where a bird gobbled right beside the blind. How he got there i will never know. He stood right beside the blind gobbling, strutting, and drumming for what seamed like a hour. Finally he came around the corner at only 4 yards.
BOOM, DEAD BIRD. I have never seen my brother more excited in his hole life. He finally got his bird and dandy at that too. 19 pounds, 10 inche beard,1 1/4 inche spurs, and a perfect fan. As he tells all his friends now, HE GOT THE KING TURKEY.

And of all things that was the one day i didn't bring my camcorder. Sorry about not adding pictures, It keeps telling me the file is to big.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Brothers First Bird.

Congrats on his 1st bird...
Old 05-25-2006, 08:13 PM

Nice story. I liked the part about him crawling on the ground.

Send me the pic and I'll resize it for you. [email protected]
Old 05-25-2006, 08:32 PM
Banned

Tell him congrats
Old 05-28-2006, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats to him on a awsome bird,And congrats to you for taking your brother out.
Sound's like quite a Hunt you both had.
Again Congrat's to you Both