Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Fly Down Time?

Old 05-17-2006, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Fly Down Time?

What time do turkeys usually fly down? I know this is probably different from place to place, but is there any set time before sunrise.In the area I hunt I usually am in the woods around 5:30 and hear toms about that same time. I cannot tell if they are still in the roost or not. By about 6 things really heat up and that is when I do my fly down cackle. Is my set up wrong? And how about the flydown time? Any info would be great for this ameteur..
Old 05-17-2006, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Fly Down Time?

Fly down times are usually before the sun is up. It also depends on if its raining as well. Some birds stay on the roost longer when its raining. I use a fly down cackle as well. I myself might get to the woods a bit earlier then 530 am. Im usually in the woods when it is still dark. That way I can get everything set up and get ready to go. I dont believe your doing anything wrong. If you listen closely you can hear them fly down. Just my thoughts.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:54 PM

weather can be a big factor, usually if the weather is nice, they'll fly down right after daylight,normally when they can see the ground good.if bad weather,or foggy, i've seen them stay in the tree til late morning, just depends,try getting in the woods before daylight, they'll usually start gobbling at first light,try an owl hooter or crow call, this works well to make them gobble, even late morning with the crow call,when you hear them start gobbling move in and set up, not to close.i usually only yelp a few times. soft yelps til hes on the ground, just to let him know your in the area. then i crank it up. and if hes alone, get ready.just remember zero movement, when hes coming into you. hope this helps.good luck.this is my main set up, at first light. heres some of mine from this year.

Old 05-17-2006, 06:34 PM
Typical Buck

The birds i hunt start sounding off religiousely at 5:10am, and are usually on the ground by 5:30am. Just what i've noticed this year.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

This year, fly down time is usually when I hear those hens yelping on the other side of the roost tree than I'm sitting at [:@] That has been just about sun-up.